Wheel Balance Do-Over Coming Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Do you think torqueing the lugs a little tighter than published spec (from manual) might help if its a hub ring issue? Published spec is 100nm ~ 74 lb-ft. I have them at 75 lb-ft now. Subaru specifies same 100nm lug torque spec for both steel and alloy rims.

No, more torque just increases the clamping force, but does nothing for the centering.

One of the reasons why car manufacturers use center piloting is because drilling 4, or 5, or whatever, holes is much more probne to error than a single hole. Besides, both the hub and the wheel are generally machined using the center hub. It's just got to be better!

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Do you think torqueing the lugs a little tighter than published spec (from manual) might help if its a hub ring issue? Published spec is 100nm ~ 74 lb-ft. I have them at 75 lb-ft now. Subaru specifies same 100nm lug torque spec for both steel and alloy rims.

I would follow up the rebalance with a great cleaning of the wheel mounting surface(hub). Then I would properly torque the lugs at my own hand in my own driveway. Hub Rings have to be properly seated to be effective.

What brand of rims if I might ask?

Oh, and one other thing. Just as CapriRacer has already stated... It is much easier to drill one hole correctly(hub) than to drill five/six(lugs) holes correctly.

Hope it works out for you, Jim

Yes it is still there but it seems slightly reduced since the tire repair. They did an internal patch-plug and rebalanced. Road hazard was a nail, not very big a 5d or 6d maybe.

Are your lugnuts correct? someone at work got tires from some offbrand place(online-tire something)
and they sent him conical lugnuts for the round? end kind.
and they didnt seat well.

lug_nut.jpg

The bad part is when you use tapered style with the ball type rim etc.

sometimes you can also get different angle taper.. but thats not too common.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it have been cheaper just to have bought the Forester with Premium Package to begin with, and gotten the 17" alloys along with a huge sunroof and the functional roof rack?
The OEM Yokos on ours should go 60K and are still very smooth at 37K with no rebalance needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back