Redline or Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should give Brad Pen oil a shot. I know alotta guys who run this in their street strip vehicles that have good clearances on their motors after tear down.Good luck!

Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
Is GC still being made and if so where can I get it?

GC is available at AutoZone. Its actual name is Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula. Be sure to look on the back of the bottle for the Made in Germany stamp. This is why BITOG'ers call it German Castrol.

I think I might stay with M1 but switch to 0W40 because I can get 5 quarts with a M1 oil filter for 35 bucks at AutoZone. If Amsoil or Redline were cheaper I would probably go with them.

Amsoil and Redline will definitely not be cheaper than M1 0w40! I pay $10/qt for RL 5w30. RL 0w30 is $1/qt more. I can get M1 0w40 at my local Meijer store for $6.80/qt.

I'm still really surprised Amsoil doesn't offer a 0W-40 besides their PowerSports oil.

You should complain to them, Pablo.
wink.gif

dave at red line said 12000 miles the most i ran this oil is 7500 miles 1.5 years..no oil sample taken..iam easy on all my vehicles though i have confidence in red line/motul mix.

As with any oil, OCIs with Red Line are determined by usage and application.

Red Line recommends 7500 miles if a lot of short tripping is happening and naturally a lot more if it isn't.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I'm still really surprised Amsoil doesn't offer a 0W-40 besides their PowerSports oil.

You should complain to them, Pablo.
wink.gif

I'm glad you said it, as I've often thought this same exact thing!
It would probably be one GREAT product as well.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Is GC still being made and if so where can I get it?

GC is available at AutoZone. Its actual name is Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula. Be sure to look on the back of the bottle for the Made in Germany stamp. This is why BITOG'ers call it German Castrol.

Pep Boys still has it in their roller-racks as well, but their sales are not as frequent (nor as good) as AZ's.
frown.gif

The only Castrol I could find was Castrol Edge with Syntec and Castrol Titanium. Are either one of these it?

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_int...ge_titanium.jpg

http://www.castrol.com/assets/bp_interne...yntec_large.jpg

Oops, I forgot about the name change. It's Edge with Syntec Power Technology. 0w30 in the black bottle. The API rating will be SL. ACEA A3/B3/B4. BMW Longlife-01.

Here's a link to the data sheet:
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/Edge_BLACK_PDS_Sept_2011.pdf

I see. So it is no longer green? And made in Germany. Whats the difference between the two bottle ( Syntec VS Titanium)

Well, afte calling local AZ and O'Reillys I was not able to find any Castrol 0W30 anywhere. I guess its out of the question!

It's still made in Germany.

I've had little luck getting them to look it up unless I had a bottle for them to scan. Once they have the code, they can see which AZs in town have the stuff, and how many.
Don't count on getting the correct info on the phone.

I just looked at O'Reilly's website and noticed that you can order the European Castrol 0W-30(GC) and they will ship it to your nearest store for you to pick up.

I found these Castrol Edge with Syntec 0W30 ... it says made in germany in the back. Are these as good as the old green formula? I heard the old formula was the best for my ls1!

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/escape2music/530i/misc/GC_SPT2.jpg

This was debated extensively here when the green GC was phased out.
The eventual consensus was that there was no real difference between the two, although you'll see a post every now and then where someone finds some NOS green GC.
Most AZs around here have GC.
The only PB I ever visit has it on clearance at $6.19/qt, while the nearest O'Reilly's said that they could order it.
Still, if you think you need such a high HTHSV oil, why not use M1 0W-40, which has a higher VI as well as a more modern formulation?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Still, if you think you need such a high HTHSV oil, why not use M1 0W-40, which has a higher VI as well as a more modern formulation?

Yes, AGREED, especially in SoCal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back