Is the left, rear tire different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a wierd question. It seems like I have a problem keeping my left rear tire properly inflated. Not just on my current car, but also previous ones. The air just seems to leak out much faster on the left rear than any other tire position. I also seem to get more flat tires there also. Am I cracking up, or is there a reason for this?

No different. Just rotate rears straight to fronts and front cross to rear, now you have right front on left rear. Check the pressure after 1-2 weeks, the low pressure should be the left front and left rear should be normal.

Rear tires get more flats because when the front tire rolls over a nail (or similar object), it causes it to stand up to get nailed by the rear tire. Seems like I mostly get flats on right rear tires.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
Rear tires get more flats because when the front tire rolls over a nail (or similar object), it causes it to stand up to get nailed by the rear tire. Seems like I mostly get flats on right rear tires.

Got any evidence of this amazing statement? Or was it a dream while you were in Area 51?

Originally Posted By: user52165
Got any evidence of this amazing statement? Or was it a dream while you were in Area 51?

My experience with the taxi fleet was similar. Rear passenger tires seemed to get hit more. Debris being knocked into a bad position by the front tire is part of it. There also tends to be more junk on the edge of the road, where the right side tires are. Perhaps someone who works at a tire shop could chime in, too.

I still keep all my tire fixing equipment in the right side of the garage as a legacy of that experience.

The phenomoenon has been noticed by others as well. The standard hypothesis is that the right side tires are more likely to encounter debris - edge of the road sort of thing - and since the front tires tend to kick up objects when they roll over them, the rear tires are more likely to get punctured.

Ergo, the most volnerable position for punctures is the right rear.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe

My experience as well. Rear tires about 2x as likely to have a nail or other object embedded...Two years ago, when my neighbor was building his new house, I got 3 nails in the tires of the cars I own.

All 3 were in the rear tires...

Hence, it probably makes sense for me to carry as a spare during summer towing, one of my full size directional right side winters. Of course that would just mean if a flat were to happen, it would be on the left then.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back