NEWS FLASH: No more PEA in Techron Concentrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took a peek at the latest revised MSDS for Techron and their website and see NO mention of PEA at all in Techron Concentrate!
It did used to list PEA %.

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/MSDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=283264

Looks like another quality fuel system cleaner is now IMPOTENT!

The most notable thing is that just last year Chevron was touting the strength of its Techron Concentrate stating it had 50% PEA to clean ...now NOTHING AT ALL MENTIONED ABOUT IT!

Last edited:
Ah that's just swell - get us old geezers used to buying a product for some time, then reformulate the product in hopes that we continue buying what we think is the same product not knowing because the eyeballs are well worn, hope we cant notice because we cant see well or the brain no longer thinks about it....

They may not be required to release the ingredient on the MSDS.

Does anyone want to try that old-fashioned smell test, between an old bottle of techron and the new stuff?

Its still in the Techron BULK, although it may be called something else (and a trade secret), but its 6%. I emailed Chevron. Will post response. Was just about to do a BOGO for some.

I scored a bunch this summer when it was on sale for $2.50 a bottle so I bought a dozen. Hopefully mine still has it.

I looked at all the MSDS's a few days ago. The ingredients list does omit PEA but the safety information makes reference to polyetheramine still.

Techron will have PEA in it because Techron is the marketing name for PEA! But it could likely be that they have reduced the percentage and don't want the consumer to know.

If it doesn't have PEA in it then that would mean they have found something else that cleans better or as good as PEA. And if that was the case, you would expect to see some kind of marketing campaign that says PEA is old and Chevron's exclusive replacement is the next advancement.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
first, they took away my oldsmobile, then my pontiac, then my saturn, then my mercury, and now my PEA. [censored]?

Yep.
frown.gif

I'll stay with Redline SI-1 or Amsoil P.I.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
They may not be required to release the ingredient on the MSDS.

This. Just because we don't see something on a silly MSDS doesn't mean it's not in the product. MSDS is not a formula. People are kinda ignorant in the MSDS department.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Does anyone want to try that old-fashioned smell test, between an old bottle of techron and the new stuff?

NOT I!!

I'm sure PEA is great to have in a FI cleaner, but here's something to consider. Kreen which I'm pretty sure doesn't contain any PEA at all but does a good job cleaning. Time to hide.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
first, they took away my oldsmobile, then my pontiac, then my saturn, then my mercury, and now my PEA. [censored]?

What about your Yugo? Is that gone also? Studebaker?

The PEA is considered a "trade secret or proprietary formula" therefore it does not need to be listed on the msds by its name. The website is still saying it has PEA in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jcwit
But we the consumer are safer!

But maybe the workers are safer in the chemical plant or bottling plant. Even the artifical butter flavor in popcorn is killing workers: Workers in several factories that manufacture artificial butter flavoring have been diagnosed with bronchiolitis obliterans, a rare and serious disease of the lungs. The cases found have been mainly in young, healthy, non-smoking males. There are no known cures for bronchiolitis obliterans except for lung transplantation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diacetyl

I forgot to add that just last year the Chevron website pages about Techron specifically mention PEA and the percentage of it in the Concentrate consumer item, now on the new consumer site all references to PEA are GONE! Completely!

Strangely enough, their Techron & Proguard website is down. When I looked a few weeks ago, the reference to PEA was there.

Also strange how they can't spell properly. Their non working link says:

"Visit Techron Concetrate Plus"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back