Engine Misfire and OMG Bosch plugs as OE in a GM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
That's the whole plus of DI, radical compression improves efficiency. I still can't see the connection between a bit of compression and plug life.

What about the issue with fuel dilution (why they shortened their OCI's).

I can see how high compression, lots of timing and direct injection could potentially wear plugs quicker.

What I don't like about those Bosch plugs is that the center electrode is flush with
the ceramic insulator. It may not affect its function, but to me it just looks weird.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
That's the whole plus of DI, radical compression improves efficiency. I still can't see the connection between a bit of compression and plug life.

What about the issue with fuel dilution (why they shortened their OCI's).

I can see how high compression, lots of timing and direct injection could potentially wear plugs quicker.

I still see no direct correlation between any of those factors you mention and plug WEAR. I would agree that in older motors w/o DI those factors can affect plug EFFICIENCY, but actual physical wear? That should be a function of spark total energy and duration.

I still think it's a case of too much cost control by the bean counters. I bet a high end NGK Plat/Iridium hybrid would last the full 100k recommended interval.

But this may be yet another mysterious DI issue.

*cue twilight zone music*
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What I don't like about those Bosch plugs is that the center electrode is flush with
the ceramic insulator. It may not affect its function, but to me it just looks weird.

I agree. However these particular Bosch plugs were not built like those you buy from the auto parts store. The electrode was a regular fine wire looking one sticking out - not flush.

It doesn't affect it's function in a negative way at all. In fact it controls the spark more effectively and wear as well.

The flush electrode is an innovation, and it makes a plug work more efficiently and better.

Originally Posted By: 91344George

It doesn't affect it's function in a negative way at all. In fact it controls the spark more effectively and wear as well.

The flush electrode is an innovation, and it makes a plug work more efficiently and better.

But also much easier to foul. I wouldn't want to use it in a turbocharged engine, that runs richer more of the time.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Quote:

But also much easier to foul. I wouldn't want to use it in a turbocharged engine, that runs richer more of the time.

Actually NOT true, the Bosch recessed electrode gives a hotter spark at the smaller area, and is better able to effectively burn off that possible carbon, in any case unless there is a serious oil burning problem a Bosch plug with recessed electrode will fire just as efficiently if not more so than the competition.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 91344George
Originally Posted By: Nick R

Quote:

Actually NOT true, the Bosch recessed electrode gives a hotter spark at the smaller area, and is better able to effectively burn off that possible carbon, in any case unless there is a serious oil burning problem a Bosch plug with recessed electrode will fire just as efficiently if not more so than the competition.

Really. I've certainly heard enough cases of fouled bosch plugs that I'm not sure I believe that. I see no reason not to use a standard electrode. There is zero evidence that flush electrodes work any better. In fact, if you want a better spark, you simply would use a stronger coil.

Despite the unfounded allegations in the posts above, it is well proven that the design of the plug GREATLY affects the amount of energy required to fire it.

Those teeny center electrodes fire easier.

Despite the unfounded allegations in the posts above, it is well proven that the design of the plug GREATLY affects the amount of energy required to fire it.

Those teeny center electrodes fire easier.

Agreed. I new style 0.6 fine wire plug will take less energy to fire than a standard copper plug for example. I am not sure how much, but that is what the plug makers say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back