CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE!

Monthly.

A friend just came by tonight and I checked the pressures on his Civic Hybrid. They were all 25-27. Door jamb said 32 psi. I pumped all of them up to 35 psi. The spare also measured 22 psi....pumped that one up to 60!

Originally Posted By: Nick R

I put air in our tires last week. They were getting down to 28, 29 psi or so when cold, pumped them all back up to 35, 36.

Shame on you for letting them get that low!

Reminds me I need to check my spares.

I will also have to admit that the combination of tires that don't seem to lose much pressure(other than temp. changes), and TPMS has made me less vigilant than I used to be.

Check pressure monthly, luckily like most have said, I can generally tell when pressure is low, corolla requires 30 psi, i put 32, i find 30 is not enough psi. I usually do a walk around each time before i get in the car.

About monthly but since I put Nitrogen in them, I seldom have to update them. Basically now only at the change of seasons. I also find the Michelin winter tires on the truck (year round Michelins on the Honda) have much better liners and don't lose much air. I loose more pressure (Nitrogen or shop air) on the **** Cepeks that are my summer tires... I suppose due to a more porous liner.

Probably monthly, though I admit to sometimes doing maybe a little less frequently as none of my tires in the past several years have had air leak issues. But regardless, I always check before a road trip, and when towing, before starting out each day.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I also find the Michelin winter tires on the truck (year round Michelins on the Honda) have much better liners and don't lose much air.

This is my experience with our E rated truck tires. Most are now running the new LTX MS2 style and they simply do not leak air at all. It's another small plus for Michelin quality control.

Hello, I do a pressure check ~ twice monthly. All my life the cause of lost pressure has been A) SMALL PUNCTURES which leak slowly. B) Spring and Autumn temperature variations have ALWAYS caused loss in pressure. You can set your watch by it, so to speak. Kira

I check all five of my vehicles monthly. You would be surprised how much they lose in a month.

I check my tire PSI every couple of weeks or so in the colder months. I usually lose a pound or two evenly amongst all tires. With gas prices where they are, not checking your tires is like tossing money out the window.

I've always been diligent about checking my tire pressures every couple of weeks with a good quality gauge and inspecting them for nails before any trip longer than my daily commute as I seem to pick up about 1 per year. A couple of years ago there was a sudden cold snap. I got in my car in the early morning, drove a block or two and the TPS alarm went off. It didn't tell me which tire it was so I pulled into the closest gas station and gauged the tires. All 4 were down 9 lbs from the 35 PSI that they were recently checked at. I would not have expected more than 3-4 lbs difference for the cold weather but there it was.

I should make a habit to also check the spare tire when I'm underneath my truck lubing the chassis, etc. Last week I found the spare tire to be at 20 psi. Useless. Aired it up to 40psi.

I check mine every month, sometimes more often. Recently I took a short job in PA, (home is TX) went out and checked mine and they were down about 7 psi. Got out the little battery powered compressor and put them back at 38. Noticed about a 1 mpg increase. My tires seem to be wearing evenly across the tread.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: hypervish
I check it once a month. I haven't see a major depletion of nitrogen.

Me, too. My tires haven't lost any pressure in two whole years. 36 psi consistently, regardless of season. Only now do I need to boost them with some fresh nitrogen. I've never seen that before.

We routinely check our tires at least once a week, mostly twice.

Many of our trucks require no air at all, and this is at 80 psi.

Not all tires leak down. And since regular air is mostly nitrogen...

If the tires has no leaks, the speed of air loss depends more on the how frequent the pressure checked and how big is the air volume within the tyre itself(SUV tyre less prone than sport compact low profile)

Back