Subaru Impreza 2.0 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching right oil for my car.
Currently using Castrol Magnatec 5W40, but mainly after read subaru forum a lot of them prefer Motul, so i am here.

Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.0 EJ20E 1998 non turbo
Specs from manual:
API SJ or SH with "Energy Conserving II" (if not possible SJ or SH can use SG)
or CCMC G4 or G5
or ACEA A1, A2 or A3
preferably 5W30

temperature:
summer +15...+25
winter 0...-20(30 for some days)
Driving not fast usually about 1500-2500 rpm, sometimes till 3500-4000. About 50 km per day mainly home-work, in city.
Car problem: piston slap on cold engine about 5-8 min
Not all oil company distributors we have (like Petro-Canada, Eneos, Pennzoil)

Would be glad to hear which oil suits me, currently thinking of going from Castrol Magnatec 5W40 to Motul X-cess 5W40.

I wouldn't categorize piston slap as a problem. Also, if this motor is nearly as tough as the American EJ22 of that era, you've got nothing to worry about.

I'm going to second the 0W-30 recommendation.

This is actually strange for me,
thought that with viscosity i was determined but i guess i was wrong.
On most of oil company site there is service for finding right oil for a car and both Castrol and Matul suggest best oil is 5W40.

Could you explain why 0W30 is better or send an article about it.

Because the Naturally Aspirated Subaru's here do really well on running 5W-30 in a variety of drIving conditions. If you go with an xW-30 that meets ACEA A3 specs, you get one with a high kinematic viscosity at 100C and high High Temp High Shear. Although you probably don't even need an A3 oil.

Motul X-cess is a good oil, but I think Motul Eco-nergy 5W-30 would work well. I just went onto Opie oils UK web site and see they recommend 5W-40 for your car, but I don't know why. The classic UK WRX's spec thicker oils, but I don't see how an n/a Impreza needs a 40 grade in Estonia.
confused.gif

-Dennis

Don't be afraid to experiment with a 0w or 5w-30 oil in your engine. It may help quite a bit with the piston slap noise, especially during the winter, with no ill effects once warm.

For reference, here in the states, both Mobil and Amsoil recommend a 5w-30 grade for an Impreza. Granted, the engine codes are different, as I had the 2.2 and 2.5 to choose from, but I feel it should still have some "weight" in your decision.

yep quite weird why most of oil companies suggest 5W40, my guess is that they use same data for selecting right oil (e.g. when i am choosing my car there only two correct values in one catalog is "Impreza 2.0 1996-2000", in other is "Impreza 2.0 1996-1998")

But i guess the only way to know which is right oil is experiment, further i will try 5W30 and 0W30.

BTW should oil be chosen also considering mileage of a car this option only saw on Valvoline site(guess because they have "special oil" for old cars)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back