Restore engine additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not one to use snake oil additives in engines but my dad has a 93 Lincoln,4.6,that is smoking/burning oil. Before we pull it and replace/rebuild it I was thinking of trying Restore engine additive. Any opinions on this product?

Is that the kit where you put the pellets in the spark plug holes?

If I wanted to keep the car I would rebuild it. If I was selling it I still wouldn't put that stuff in.

IMHO save those money/time and go straight through an engine rebuild. None of these OTC additives will help an oil-burning engine (only a complete teardown will give you a full story of the engine situation).

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
(only a complete teardown will give you a full story of the engine situation).

Yeah, like the ring gap will no longer be at its new spec.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Quest
(only a complete teardown will give you a full story of the engine situation).

Yeah, like the ring gap will no longer be at its new spec.
grin2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ueberooo

Best to get a high mileage variety of oil on next oil change, and a thicker grade. not sure if 10w40 or 15w40 is too thick for an old ford v8?

This is a modern day Ford 4.6L that's supposed to be run on 5W-20.
Changing to 10W-40 might split the crankcase clean in half.
grin2.gif

The older mod motors run forever on a good quality 5W-30, I would not start using a thicker oil as a band-aid.
Up to 97, they were also prone to valve stem seal leakage. Dunno the mileage on the engine but before you decide a rebuild is needed it may be worth replacing the seals.

If you get a puff of blue smoke at start up it could be valve seals. If you burn more oil on the highway or when accelerating it could be sticky piston rings. Below is why I say this.

Bought a 02 Camry cheap because it had a bad tick, burned a quart every 1500, and needed a new front cat to pass inspection. Puff of blue smoke at startup, burned more oil on the highway or when accelerating. Under the valve cover was a goopy sludgy mess. Using Mobil 1 High Mileage for a couple of OC's (recommended by BITOG members) dropped the oil consumption to 1/2 quart every 5k. Made a believer out of me. Now I run straight M1 5w-30. Would guess sticky rings were mainly responsible because the valve seals still puff at startup (not as bad). So you should try M1 High Mileage for 2 OC's, change the PCV valve, see what happens. As others have stated restore is an old school method of dealing with oil consumption - dont clean it, plug it up more.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
That engine likely just needs valve guide seals. Very common on the early Modular engines.

This is true. My son has a thing for big Lincolns and he had one that began smoking at over 200k miles. It was absolutely fine in every way, except:

Just needed valve seals, cost less than ten bucks to fix.

Also, sometimes oil has accumulated in the intake manifold. Be sure and check this engine carefully. Manifold vacuum gauge and a compression gauge are critical.

Restore works.. realistically it'll last around 2200 miles.
It stopped a 85 camry smokestack into a clean machine.

It works,at least the CSL(copper ,silver,lead particle) version does.I had an 86 ltd v-6 with varying cylinder compression that resulted in a "lumpy" idle.A can of restore levelled out the idle quite bit.I was happy as the car was not worth a rebuild.

It works but not for very long. I don't suggest putting it into a decent motor. It's more for keeping a soon dead engine kicking for a bit longer.

My buddy Ed(RIP) had a '97 Dodge Ram 3500 w/5.9 gas engine and the engine from new had blow by. No oil leaks but he always had to add oil between OCI's. Often every 2 weeks! I suggested trying some Restore for each OCI. Within 1 yr, he had to replace the cat conv.

Was it the Restore or the higher ZINC in the oil that caused the cat to fail, IDK! Coinsidental though wasn't it? We all know now that ZINC has been reduced for this very reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back