Lexus Canada Oil Recommendation Chart..

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

I emailed Lexus Canada last week asking for a chart similar to the one I received from Toyota Canada in January 2011.

See here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2143463#Post2143463 for the Toyota chart.

Here is the chart I received from Lexus Canada today. Right click and then choose 'view image' to see it larger.

Most BITOGers should use the chart as they see fit, taking into consideration that it's from Lexus Canada, and you (while you might wish you were) are not in Canada. That being said, an American Lexus engine is the same as a Canadian one.

Other users (just see the recent posts in the Toyota thread I posted above) will think I spent my entire day creating this .pdf and it's completely fabricated (because I have nothing better to do).

lexusoil.jpg

Last edited:
The very small print at the bottom right is this..

"TCI has made all possible efforts to ensure accuracy of this document. In the event of specification dispute and/or inconsistency, the owner's manual prevails. Note: Engine oil viscosity on oil filler cap specifies oil viscosity utilized during engine factory fill. For service refill, other oil grade options may be available for the model. This information is also available on ETAS: Dealer Communication (16) *Please discard all previous versions.

This is GREAT. It clearly answer the question some of us had regarding use of 0W-20 in older Lexi. Thank you so much for followng through on this and getting a clear answer!

Your welcome. There was never any question in my mind, as the Toyota chart I posted earlier this year shows vehicles with engines that are also used in Toyotas.

The only thing you will want to consider is it's from Toyota Canada and Toyota USA may have different recommendations.

For example, ss JasonBraswell pointed out Toyota in the USA does not offer (anymore) a Toyota brand 5w20.

What is helpful about this is the engines not covered in the Toyota chart.

What is interesting is the IS vs GS. The IS350 and GS350 have the same engine (might be very minor differences), yet one gets backspec'd to 5w20, the other doesn't.

The 2012 GS vs the 2012 IS is even more strange given that the engine is still the same!

Originally Posted By: rjacket

What is interesting is the IS vs GS. The IS350 and GS350 have the same engine (might be very minor differences), yet one gets backspec'd to 5w20, the other doesn't.

The 2012 GS vs the 2012 IS is even more strange given that the engine is still the same!

Perhaps the differences are not so minor then?

Is Lexus pretty relaxed about what 5w30 you can use? Is it like Nissan where they just say "API SM 5w30"? Obviously there are some very thin 5w30s out there, especially in the case of that beastly IS-F...

So I have a GS400 and the manual states xW-30. So far I have used AFE 0W-30, EP 5W-30 and I am currently running Mobil 0W-40. I have seen a slight drop in MPG with my progression of oils. I didn't realize that Lexus allows a 5W-20 in my 4.0 liter V8. I'm not sure that I am confortable with that. I am assuming then that it is fine to run either 0W-30 or 0W-20 in the engine even though this chart doesn't show that.

Originally Posted By: Capa
So I have a GS400 and the manual states xW-30. So far I have used AFE 0W-30, EP 5W-30 and I am currently running Mobil 0W-40. I have seen a slight drop in MPG with my progression of oils. I didn't realize that Lexus allows a 5W-20 in my 4.0 liter V8. I'm not sure that I am confortable with that. I am assuming then that it is fine to run either 0W-30 or 0W-20 in the engine even though this chart doesn't show that.

Running a "heavy 20" is probably fine. Redline 0w20 is basically a light 30 and won't shear down in use, for example.

M1 0w40 is way too thick and robbing power/mileage!

I was counting on the M1 0W-40 shearing to a 30 after just a couple hundred miles and wanted to try perhaps Mobil's best oil. I will almost for sure go back to AFE 0W-30. I'm not sure that I would be comfortable running AFE 0W-20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: rjacket

Perhaps the differences are not so minor then?

Is Lexus pretty relaxed about what 5w30 you can use? Is it like Nissan where they just say "API SM 5w30"? Obviously there are some very thin 5w30s out there, especially in the case of that beastly IS-F...

No, the IS & GS engines are practically the same.

They are quite relaxed, like you say any API S*

A couple of questions:

1) Has anyone run a 5W-20 or 0W-20 in a V8 Lexus? Was there a mileage improvement or did the engine rev faster? I have a GS400 and am wondering if I should try a 20 weight since the chart allows it.

2) The chart allows a 5W-20 for the GS400 but not a 0W-20. Does anyone know why? Also, there is no mention of using 0W-30 with the 4.0 liter GS400. I'm assuming it would be fine even though the chart is strangely silent.

I'm using Valvoline Synpower 5W20 in '94 LS400 right now, it seems to rev faster and MPG is up about 3-5% over the conventional 5-10W30.

Thanks for the prompt response. Have you been doing this for a while? I am debating running EP 5W-20 or possibly 0W-20 next.

A couple of questions:
2) The chart allows a 5W-20 for the GS400 but not a 0W-20. Does anyone know why? Also, there is no mention of using 0W-30 with the 4.0 liter GS400. I'm assuming it would be fine even though the chart is strangely silent.

The chart applies specifically to Toyota motor oil and not some generic oil grade.
The Toyota 5W-20 is somewhat heavier than the Toyota 0W-20 at operating temp's.
Toyota doesn't have 0W-30 grade, that's why their is no mention of it.

2) The chart allows a 5W-20 for the GS400 but not a 0W-20. Does anyone know why?

HTHS perhaps?

I had been using xW20 in E430, that car spec'ed M1 0W40 or syn oil with HTHS 3.5 or higher. I had been using xW30 in LS400 forever because I had a ton of conventional xW30 bought on sale over many years. I used 5W20 in it now because I ran out dino xW30, as of now I only have xW20 in my stash.

The way the E430 and LS400 engines perform with thinner oil, I'll stick with xW20 in all my cars.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I had been using xW20 in E430, that car spec'ed M1 0W40 or syn oil with HTHS 3.5 or higher. I had been using xW30 in LS400 forever because I had a ton of conventional xW30 bought on sale over many years. I used 5W20 in it now because I ran out dino xW30, as of now I only have xW20 in my stash.

The way the E430 and LS400 engines perform with thinner oil, I'll stick with xW20 in all my cars.

Fascinating! You are a bold man.

On my GS400 I do a yearly OCI. It gets about 7000 miles a year. Unfortunately, most of the miles are made up of my all city 6.5 mile commute to work. The vehicle is never driven for more than 1/2 hour since everything is so close. Toyota doesnt seem to recommend their 0W-20 for this V8. I'm leaning towards either EP 5W-20 or Mobil AFE 0W-20. Would you guys run the AFE? What advantage and disadvantage would the EP have over the AFE?

Originally Posted By: Y_K
2) The chart allows a 5W-20 for the GS400 but not a 0W-20. Does anyone know why?

HTHS perhaps?

We're likely splitting hairs, but I doubt there is much difference in terms of the HTHSV rating of both oils. Nevertheless, even with the same HTHSV, the dramatically higher VI of the Toyota 0W-20 will translate into an oil that's still almost 10% lighter at normal operating temp's, which could be lighter than what Toyota wants for some of it's older models.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Toyota doesnt seem to recommend their 0W-20 for this V8. I'm leaning towards either EP 5W-20 or Mobil AFE 0W-20. Would you guys run the AFE? What advantage and disadvantage would the EP have over the AFE?

The EP 5W-20 is heavier than AFE 0W-20 due to it's higher HTHSV of 2.75cP vs 2.7cP and a lower 161 VI vs 173 for AFE.
I'd go with the AFE 0W-20 since it is heavier anyway than the Toyota 0W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back