SynPower 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil is the other 0w-20 available locally-- aside from M1 and the OEM stuff.

When sold in a combo by O'Reilly, I may consider using this oil in my friend's 2012 Civic. However, my concern is that many Valvoline products are built for short drain intervals due to the weaker additive package, so I question whether it can last the 10k that the computer is recommending.

Drain intervals aside, how does SynPower 0w-20 compare to other 0w-20 oils? I cannot find a current PDS for it. Is it likely to be as fuel efficient as the other 0w-20 oils?

Id think that if the computer is basing roughly on 10k, they are designing it for "OTC" oils, whatever they may be.

If there is a specific specification, then so be it, meet it on a new car. If not, just API SN 0w-20, then all should be well.

In practice, optimizing may be a different story.

Any idea how hard the engine is on the oil?

Just use the M1 and fuggeddaboudit. If you don't trust the Valvoline then what will convince you otherwise? The add pack is similar to the other Synpower lubes. It would be fine in your friends Honda but the M1 or OEM are probably better suited for the longer drain.

The other one is Castrol. That's what went on sale at AAP last time and is currently in the TL. The SM, 220 VI index version is still floating around here in stock.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id think that if the computer is basing roughly on 10k, they are designing it for "OTC" oils, whatever they may be.

If there is a specific specification, then so be it, meet it on a new car. If not, just API SN 0w-20, then all should be well.

In practice, optimizing may be a different story.

Any idea how hard the engine is on the oil?

It is a revised version of the old 1.8 so it is easy on oil.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
The other one is Castrol. That's what went on sale at AAP last time and is currently in the TL. The SM, 220 VI index version is still floating around here in stock.

I have never seen it around here.

Last edited:
Regarding Synpower, Honda OLM is calibrated for dino, so I'm sure Synpower can at least can that far.

Probably not, since this car was factory filled with 0w-20.

From the UOAs, I think Pennzoil YB has better TBN retention than SynPower.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Regarding Synpower, Honda OLM is calibrated for dino, so I'm sure Synpower can at least can that far.

Probably not, since this car was factory filled with 0w-20.

From the UOAs, I think Pennzoil YB has better TBN retention than SynPower.

Does the manual require 0W-20? If it only calls for 5W-20, then they'll be going by only avg dino quality, not something like PYB.

Does the manual require 0W-20? If it only calls for 5W-20, then they'll be going by only avg dino quality, not something like PYB.

Yes, 0w-20 is now REQUIRED for the 2012 Civic.

PYB= Pennzoil Yellow Bottle is Pennzoil's entry-level conventional product. So that should be average quality, right? However, it is irrelevant since this car requires 0w-20 synthetic (or synthetic blend). Still, I think I have seen better TBN retention from Pennzoil conventional than Valvoline Synpower.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Yes, 0w-20 is now REQUIRED for the 2012 Civic.

PYB= Pennzoil Yellow Bottle is Pennzoil's entry-level conventional product. So that should be average quality, right? However, it is irrelevant since this car requires 0w-20 synthetic (or synthetic blend). Still, I think I have seen better TBN retention from Pennzoil conventional than Valvoline Synpower.

Since they require 0W-20, forget about the PYB comment. Just use M1 or Honda's oil and forget about it. We've seen M1's TBN to be fine at the end of a long OCI. XOM says it'll be fine to even 15k if it's OLM driven.

Last edited:

I wish I could find the SM version here, I'd buy all they had. Once I run out of my stash of the SM I'll be changing brands.
frown.gif

FYI, my daughter has a 2009 Civic with the 1.8L engine and the guy at the dealer always says the oil life gadget will go about 10,000 miles between changes but in reality it hits about 15% at 5500-6000 miles. It really depends on your friends driving habits. But I have several cases of Mobil1 5w20 so that is what it is getting even though the dealer says I can use the 0w20 oil.

Very odd that the '12 R18 requires 0w20. I was not aware of any changes to the engine itself, displacement and power numbers are all exactly the same from the previous generation. One would assume that the requirements would carry. Also I agree with Doog. My OLM trips around 5500-6K right in that range. Never gotten anywhere near 10K on the monitoring system to date. Will see at this current OCI.

Apparently you can get the Honda 0w20 for a pretty decent price from most dealers. Maybe that's the way to go.

Originally Posted By: Doog
FYI, my daughter has a 2009 Civic with the 1.8L engine and the guy at the dealer always says the oil life gadget will go about 10,000 miles between changes but in reality it hits about 15% at 5500-6000 miles. It really depends on your friends driving habits. But I have several cases of Mobil1 5w20 so that is what it is getting even though the dealer says I can use the 0w20 oil.

Firstly, it is not a gadget-you may want to Google Honda OLM system, and read about it
Secondly, find another dealer

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Very odd that the '12 R18 requires 0w20. I was not aware of any changes to the engine itself, displacement and power numbers are all exactly the same from the previous generation. One would assume that the requirements would carry. Also I agree with Doog. My OLM trips around 5500-6K right in that range. Never gotten anywhere near 10K on the monitoring system to date. Will see at this current OCI.

Apparently you can get the Honda 0w20 for a pretty decent price from most dealers. Maybe that's the way to go.

I believe the requirement for 0W was more for MPGs than anything else. Same thing with my Lexus RX350. 2010s require 5W20. 2011s require 0W20. Difference between the engines? None.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back