Confirmed with GM- no 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was curious about using 0W-30 oil in my cruze in the winter, so I sent a email to GM about it. Much to my surprise, I got a phone call, not from a service rep, but from one of the powertrain engineers at GM (!!!) I was dumb and didn't think to write down his name =P. Anyway, my request was in regards to whether 0W-30 can be used in my cruze in the winter, because I was worried about the Turbo, and the owners manual states that 0W-30 may be used in extreme cold temperatures. Which confused me, because it also says that Dexos certified oil must be used for warranty. And all Dexos oil is 5W-30.

Anyway, he told me that he agrees with me, that 0W-30 oil would be better in cold temperatures, but because the no 0W-30 meets Dexos NOACK requirements, I should use 5W-30 to maintain my warranty. He also went into much more detail regarding this, below.

He also told me that in the case of the cruze, they did a lot of research regarding how to keep the turbo bearings safe. Because most people won't treat a turbocharged engine any differently than they would a N/A engine, which means that high-RPMs are entirely likely within the first few minutes of driving.

According to him, the oil pump was designed and programmed to deliver much higher flow than you would otherwise find. He said that the Turbo and lubrication system were specifically designed for this type of use, and though it's still not recommended, 5W-30 should provide sufficient protection down to 50 below, and there will be enough flow to the turbo bearings to prevent any significant wear.

Since I had him on the line, I asked him about hot shutdowns. He told me that, again that was a consideration they had, most people will not know to treat it any differently. So the cooling system is designed to provide coolant flow via natural convection, to keep coolant flow through the turbo water jackets even after the engine is shut down.

Honestly, I was extremely impressed that I would be contacted by someone other than a service rep. And he certainly explained a lot more than would have expected. I thought you all would be very interested in this information.

Last edited:
definitely an interesting response. Sounds a little high tech. (the way they thought things out)

Last edited:
This is what the OM states for a 2011 Cruze:
"
Notice: Use only engine oil
that is approved to the dexos
specification or an equivalent
engine oil
of the appropriate
viscosity grade. Engine oils
approved to the dexos
specification will show the
dexos symbol on the container.
Failure to use the recommended
engine oil or equivalent can
result in engine damage not
covered by the vehicle warranty.
If you are unsure whether the
oil is approved to the dexos
specification, ask your service
provider.
Use of Substitute Engine Oils if
dexos is unavailable: In the event
that dexos‐approved engine oil is
not available at an oil change or for
maintaining proper oil level, you
may use substitute engine oil
displaying the API Starburst symbol
and of SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade.

Use of oils that do not meet the
dexos specification, however, may
result in reduced performance under
certain circumstances"

Cold Temperature Operation:
In an area of extreme cold, where
the temperature falls below −29°C
(−20°F), an SAE 0W-30 oil should
be used

You can use any 5w-30 that is equivalent, so any good synthetic would do as long as its in 5w-30. It is recommend but not required. But why risk the warranty. You can use 0w-30 without a problem or worry.

Still impressed someone contacted you with that much knowledge!

Last edited:
13% NOACK isn't such a strict limit. You should be able to find a 0w-30 that qualifies. I wouldn't be surprised if M1 0w-30 fit the bill...

Originally Posted By: Capa
Shocking and impressive. What great customer service!

I'm glad to see that GM is now willing to concede that although many customers are not the brightest there are many that are intelligent and interested in what they drive and what went into designing and engineering it as well.

I wish the OP would have gotten this engineers e mail address and linked this thread to him.

Not many post NOACK though, Amsoil 0w-30 says 8.7%.. Not sure the rest of it would meet dexos..but probably. They won't shell out the large amount of money to be dexos approved anyway though.

I also own a Cruze 1.4T so I have an interest in this topic.
I notice that both Valvoline DuraBlend and Castrol's Syntec Blend 5w30 claim to meet the 'performance requirements' of dexos1. The factory fill is a blend also.
I would think that GC 0w30 or even Mobil 1 0w30 would be stout enough for this application (I know the GC is 'only' SL rated). I definitely wouldn't go experimenting with 5w20 in this app but 0w40 in summer time...maybe when it's out of warranty.

So he's telling you that he thinks 0w30 would be better, but that the company line is follow DEXOS approvals.

CYA response.

Originally Posted By: RedHotOptima
Not many post NOACK though, Amsoil 0w-30 says 8.7%.. Not sure the rest of it would meet dexos..but probably. They won't shell out the large amount of money to be dexos approved anyway though.

I believe that Amsoil even recommends their lowest price OE (as well as XL) for dexos1 vehicles.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
So he's telling you that he thinks 0w30 would be better, but that the company line is follow DEXOS approvals.

CYA response.

He also explained to me what they did on the engineering end to ensure that 5W-30 would be sufficient for all but the most extreme conditions.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

According to him, the oil pump was designed and programmed to deliver much higher flow than you would otherwise find.

This is why making sure you have a quality oil filter, with a properly spec'd bypass PSI valve, is important.

As an example, the bypass valuve PSI spec'd for a 2011 WRX is crazy high compared to "normal". Owners who ignore this and buy an aftermarket oil filter, end up running a setup where the filter is in bypass mode (and thus not filtering) a lot more often than desirable.

The cartridge filter on the Cruze will help to filter the oil when cold. The bypass is built into the cartridge housing, so no matter what filter a Cruze owner puts in it'll do the same thing.

Nick, thanks for posting! Around me are a lot of hills, so the turbo gets a good workout. Knowing that they designed it for a much worse case scenario than on my commute is reassuring.

Eh, so much about 0w-30. A good synthetic 5w-30 will be more than enough for us here in NY for the 2-3 times a winter it dips down to -10*F or so.

Funny because the saab turbo ecotec 2.0 is specced for a 0w-30 oil. Granted it is an A3/A5, not just some API S spec... But Dexos requirement should fix that part of it.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: RedHotOptima

I believe that Amsoil even recommends their lowest price OE (as well as XL) for dexos1 vehicles.

But only the 5w-30

Redline's 0W-20/30/40 are all rated at 9.0 for NOACK volitility, but we know that they are unacceptable due to their very high moly and ZDDP levels, as well as not being certified with the 'API donut & starburst'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back