Oil Recommendation For 2002 Suburban 4x4 8.1L V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to determine the best oil for this new to me vehicle. I don't have a ton of info on it's background so I am starting fresh and trying to baseline.

1. 2002 Suburban 4x4 8100 Series Vortec - 8.1L Big Block - 126,000 on the clock, spent majority of its time in AZ. Bought it with 123,000 on the clock. When I bought it in August, I changed the oil, the sticker on the windshield was from Walmart from the last oil change. I put in Mobile 1 5W-30 High Mileage and a Napa Gold filter.

2. What your owner's manual says -- SAE 5W-30 or 10W-30 Manual states to change oil and filter when computer says it needs to be changed. It also says if system is reset to change the oil 3,000 from the last oil change.

3. I live in a suburb of Denver, CO

4. How you drive- The vehicle is driven by my wife and I. I drive pretty smooth, no stop light take offs, she is a rougher driver than me though. It's a big vehicle, but I don't tow a lot, maybe 2-3 times a year and it's a small goose hunting trailer. Other than that its running around town with the family and dogs.

5. What your daily drive is like? Short trips and around town with highway in between.

6. Whether your car has any known problems - Has slight oil leak, but cannot determine from where. It's a drop a night sometimes a drop every other night. Other than that, runs pretty well. I did notice that when I changed the oil, I had to add approx. 1.6 quarts over the last 3k miles.

If you have any preferences -- No preference on synthetic vs conventional. Would like oil I can by locally that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and will be good for the vehicle. I change my own, so not a big deal as long as I can get it locally.

Check out the site for G-Oil. It's made in USA of non-petroleum stocks and carries the current API specs for gasoline engines. I am using it in my generator and it has not made any different noises or started to smoke. The only reason I don't use it in my other vehicles is that they're diesels.

Do a run of pennzoil yellow bottle 5w 30 and see how it does, this oil has the most moly , should be good in a large engine. If it leaks then synthetic might be worse and just cost more to top up. it you went with syn 0w30 would be good.

I'm inclined to recommend Mobil 1 HM 5w30 or Valvoline MaxLife 5w30. Those are almost always on sale somewhere as part of a filter+oil special.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Here is where I am today. I need to change my oil this weekend. Mobile 1 HM is 27.27 per 5 qts at my local walmart. I'll need two jugs and a filter putting me at about $65.00.

When I look at the Advanced auto ad they have MaxLife 5.1 qts for $13.99 which would put me at $28.00 for 10.2 quarts, plus $6-$10 for a filter and it's half the cost of Mobile 1. Just seems like a much better deal.

Advanced also has a deal with a 5qt jug of Pennzoil HM and PureOne filter for $17.99. Two of those deals would set me back about $40 and I would have an extra filter for my next oil change.

Finally, Advanced has a 5qt bottle of Pennzoil YB and a Purolator Classic filter for 13.99. Two of these would run me about $32.00.

Now It appears that my oil leak is maybe dripping a little bit more now. I have the M1 5w30 HM in it now. If I am going to get more consumption and more leaks then what would be my best bet?

Also, I am currently using a NAPA gold filter. What filter would one recommend for my application?

Thanks!

It is my understanding the NAPA Gold is a relabeled Wix. Good filter, I use it on my vehicles. I have around 5 of those in my stash. Purolator PureONE is also a good filter, have a 4 of those in my stash. Back to oil - If I were you I would run PYB in either 5W30 or 5W20. I short trip quite a bit, so I went with the 5W20 in both of my vehicles. They both call for 5W30. I have to pick up some PYB from Advance. That is a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back