'05-'06 GTO LS2 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm in the market to buy a '05 or '06 GTO in the next couple weeks. One is an '05 and the other an '06.

Any comments on the LS2 engine?

How does it handle a Supercharger?

Other oil related items?

Thanks!!

LS2 is a fantastic motor for modding. Anytime you put forced induction on a stock engine the tune is the critical part. Fuel enrichment can be an issue at higher power levels.

As far as oil it's actually one of the easier motors. Any Xw-30 until you get usage at high miles then you can run Xw-40. It's not fussy at all!

The 2006 GTO has been modded like this:

- Maggie 112 @ 7psi Supercharger making 461 Rear Wheel HP & 456 Rear Wheel Torque
smile.gif

- JBA shorties, Corsa X-pipe, Borla XR1 mufflers and 4in Borla tips
- Billet Pro shifter
- Full Pedders suspension
- 18 in Boyd Coddington rims
- Brand new Nitto 555R2's in the back and Nitto extremes up front
- GTO Banshee Ram air hood
- JHP gauges

Thoughts on longevity with top quality oil?

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
The 2006 GTO has been modded like this:

- Maggie 112 @ 7psi Supercharger making 461 Rear Wheel HP & 456 Rear Wheel Torque
smile.gif

- JBA shorties, Corsa X-pipe, Borla XR1 mufflers and 4in Borla tips
- Billet Pro shifter
- Full Pedders suspension
- 18 in Boyd Coddington rims
- Brand new Nitto 555R2's in the back and Nitto extremes up front
- GTO Banshee Ram air hood
- JHP gauges

Thoughts on longevity with top quality oil?

As long as the tune was done right, and you always use a top tier type of premium fuel, you should be fine.

It's cool that they kept it all 50 state legal with the JBA shorties, (they kept the stock catcons, or used direct fit, bolt in aftermarket catcons I assume??) even though it would have gotten a little more with long tubes.

If you ever decide to pulley it up to a higher boost level, I would think about a water/methanol injection system (but even then, I would not go any higher than ~12 psi or so), unless you build the bottom end and lower the stock compression ratio.

The Pedders suspension pieces are COOL!! It probably sounds like a BEAST with those XR1s on there!

This setup looks to be the perfect candidate for the 'CATERHAM mix', i.e.; 50/50 Mobil 1 0W-30 AFE and M1 0W-40.
wink.gif

I'm buying it.

It's a California car, so it's gotta pass.

Yea, Premium fuel has been used and I'll keep doing that with E-ZERO gas.
thumbsup2.gif

You definitely won't regret it. I drove in two different GTO's and just loved them both. A very powerful car that still is very comfortable and enjoyable as a daily driver. It doesn't get too much attention on the road too (this is a good thing). I considered buying an 05-06 GTO a few times.

Last edited:
A few guys on here (myself included) own GTO's although I don't think anyone on here has done anything with FI.

They're great cars but they do have a laundry list of "little things" that can add up to serious problems if left unaddressed.

Originally Posted By: cchase
A few guys on here (myself included) own GTO's although I don't think anyone on here has done anything with FI.

They're great cars but they do have a laundry list of "little things" that can add up to serious problems if left unaddressed.

Yea, this one has had everything addressed under warranty + lots of Mods including the full suspension.

Which one do you have & what have you done?

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
With a supercharger, I'd be looking at some type of tranny mods for reliability.

It's a Manual (M6), which is the only way I'd ever go.
thumbsup2.gif

Were you thinking an Auto-tragic?

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Yea, this one has had everything addressed under warranty + lots of Mods including the full suspension.

Which one do you have & what have you done?

I have an 06 with manual transmission and 18" wheels. I haven't touched anything on it as it's a DD and I haven't had any issues that required parts replacement yet.

I did, however have the door locks replaced under warranty (a common problem with no real solution), the passenger seat motor assembly replaced which stopped working, and the satin trim on the steering wheel replaced due to bubbling.

Other issues are paint related, and the stitching on the top of the rear seats separates no matter how well you maintain them. There is a sizable wiring harness behind the glovebox that has a tendency to rub on a metal mounting plate where it rounds a bend. Many people end up with bizarre, seemingly untraceable electrical problems when it wears through the wires. The fuel lines are plastic where they pass by the valve cover trim pieces and commonly rub through causing engine fires. Then there's the rear springs which typically collapse over time and the struts rubbing through the tire sidewalls (though if your car has Pedders neither of those items should be an issue).

The rear differential on these cars is a "known" weak link and is kind of a strange beast. Many noise complaints when people replace the fluid, GM has a special fluid with a special part number meant only for this rear end (which is not the same as the Corvette unit) though some people have had luck with aftermarket fluids. I changed mine out at 20k miles with the OEM GM fluid and still had an issue once with the differential pinging loudly after a 4 hour highway trip.

There's a lot of slack in the driveline which makes them fairly clunky at low speeds over time. The power steering rack seems to be a common trouble spot and many people have had luck installing larger PS fluid coolers to stave off overheating problems. The clutch hydraulic system is another "weak" area, especially if you use it a lot in hot weather (stop and go traffic comes to mind).

I haven't had many of these issues but I still try to remain proactive with checking for them. With the wiring harness in the glovebox area, I put a layer of radiator hose around the wiring harness where it passes the metal bracket.

All of this aside, they are great cars to drive. Comparing them directly to their competition of the time, they were head and shoulders above them in most of the key areas. They were widely panned for being "boring" looking but drive the best and are faster than their competitors (Mustang and Charger/Challenger). They're also more comfortable in my opinion and better equipped.

Wow, thanks for all the valuable information!

This one has a little loose stitching, but I'll get that done. No other issues on this one.

This one's in No. Calif, so it's in a cool climate & here in Mn, well, you know...
smile.gif

The '06 looks way better than the '04 & the ram air hood, it looks great.

GM Slip-Lock for the rear diff? I got that.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Still on the stock clutch, or does it have an aftermarket performance setup?

Stock clutch. 39k on the GTO.

Some LS2 owners experience high oil consumption. Some claim it's due to the piston and ring design. Some claim PCV issues. Regardless, there have been plenty of LS2 engines re-ring'd for oil consumption issues.

The LS motors run great on GC and the like but most people say they aren't overly picky. I know mine sounded like it was going to fall apart with PP 5w30 in it. I haven't noticed any consumption though my runs are relatively short (3000-4000 miles).

Did the previous owner have a preference as to what he ran?

Here is mine:

IMG_0317.jpg

Sweet!

He ran Mobil 1 at 3k OCI's and said it doesn't burn oil.

The car has been meticulously maintained it's entire life. Has every single piece of documentation also. Buying from a total car enthusiast (like us). Only selling cause he bought a C6 he always wanted & not practical to keep both.

Got the dyno sheets also.

20.gif
lol.gif

Mine's Impulse Blue. Supercharged Impulse Blue, that is...
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back