Aftermarket Mercon LV ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
Anyone know of a licensed LV product? Simply looking for alternatives vs. the cost of being financially abused at the dealer ...

Please, no "suggested for use" or "recommended for use". Specifically interested in licensed products. Sadly, I cannot seem to find any.

Last edited:
That link says M1 is "suitable for use"...

Since most of Ford's lubricants seem to be supplied by Conoco-Philips, maybe they have a licensed product.

Last time I checked Mercon LV was listing about 9 bucks a quart at the dealer (have an 09 Escape w/6F35). Thats not too bad considering Mobil 1 ATF is 6-7 bucks a quart depending on where you go.

There are none. Why would ANY manufacturer make a fluid that is supposedly filled for life? how much would they be able to sell if no one bought it?

So, you either buy the fluid from the dealer or you use a 'suitable' or 'recommended' ATF.

I'd use the Amsoil ATL or Redline D6.

Thanks all.

That's kind of my take on it.

I had my Fusion serviced for a tranny recall, and simply thought I might do a drain/fill at home as an added matter of protection. I have never subscribed to a "filled for life" approach. I do believe longer OCIs are capable with today's fluids and vehicles, but not "lifetime" fills.

Wanted to use a "licensed" product in case any future issue came up under warranty. Past warranty, I have every intent to use "other" products.

I did wonder if there were any chemistry compatibility issues when comparing DEX VI to Mercon LV. They both seem to be targeted to the same intent, but perhaps with difference packages? DEX VI products might be an easily found and reasonably priced option, (after my warranty expires, of course).

Looks like I'm headin' to the dealer, unfortunately ...

Last edited:
"filled for life" may be the case for fomoco's autos, but the torqueshift (powerstroke)transmission also uses mercon lv and has a 30,000mi. change interval.
it won't be long before someone has a lisenced product available.

i haven't checked with my dealer yet on pricing of lv, but the mercon sp i have been using was reasonably priced at less than $5 a quart, and i think my service adviser told me a while back that it was going to be the same price.

filled for life is a great gimmick during the sales pitch.

What people don't realize is the person you bought the car from, knows nothing about the car, they just recite the big stuff and read the sticker to see the options.
the service writer, knows nothing about the car, just how to sell sell sell.

I bought some Motorcraft Mercon V LV today for $4.08 per qt at an local oil jobber. Seemed like an ok price. My daughters Focus is 30,000 mile oil change interval. This is a new car I'll flush and fill at around 5,000 miles for the first time.

so i was just looking into this today because i plan on changing the transmission fluid in my 2008 focus. the owner's manual says to change it at 60,000 miles but this fluid is supposed to be "fill-for-life". so what do i do? do i change it or leave it in there?

and also what would everyone recommend as a good tranny fluid? i've heard good things about amsoil and mobil 1

EDIT: ok well it turns out mobil doesn't make an ATF approved for Mercon LV. so any other recommendations?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jmsjags
the owner's manual says to change it at 60,000 miles but this fluid is supposed to be "fill-for-life". so what do i do? do i change it or leave it in there?
If you plan on keeping the car, change it.

Despite what most manufacturer's would have you believe, there's simply no such thing as "fill for life".

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
jmsjags said:
Despite what most manufacturer's would have you believe, there's simply no such thing as "fill for life".

Sure there is. The component lasts for 60,000 miles, dies, and still has fluid in it.

Nobody defines "life". The cars? Yours?

Look at "lubed for life" suspension parts or wheel bearings.

Valvoline High Mileage fluid 'claims' to be Mercon LV compatible. Its a great fluid for many applications but I'm not sure how they meet Low Viscosity spec yet kept it compatible with other applications. Maybe the Low Viscosity is just for that extra 0.3 mpg for cafe standards. Mobil 1 Full Synthetic fluid claims to be Mercon LV on the Mobil website BUT the bottles in my store clearly state NOT to be used in Mercon LV applications. I need to e-mail mobil about the discrepancy.

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
so i was just looking into this today because i plan on changing the transmission fluid in my 2008 focus. the owner's manual says to change it at 60,000 miles but this fluid is supposed to be "fill-for-life". so what do i do? do i change it or leave it in there?

and also what would everyone recommend as a good tranny fluid? i've heard good things about amsoil and mobil 1

EDIT: ok well it turns out mobil doesn't make an ATF approved for Mercon LV. so any other recommendations?

I haven't taken the time to look it up, but I don't think your Focus calls for LV fluid. My 07 calls for Mercon V. and I have used M1 ATF in it with the usual fine results. Also try M1 in your PS pump. Very good cold temp results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
but I don't think your Focus calls for LV fluid. My 07 calls for Mercon V.
Ford switched most of their line to LV in '08.

That bugs me that Ford calls for so many differant ATFs for their line. My Fusion calls for FNR5, while the Focus calls for Mercan V, and now LV. Actually I still use M1 in the Fusion even though it doesn't show that spec(the same as Mazda MV) on the bottle. Mobil tech told me it's the same fluid now as when it showed the other spec's. Transmission builders are loosing their minds!

That bugs me that Ford calls for so many differant ATFs for their line. My Fusion calls for FNR5, while the Focus calls for Mercan V, and now LV. Actually I still use M1 in the Fusion even though it doesn't show that spec(the same as Mazda MV) on the bottle. Mobil tech told me it's the same fluid now as when it showed the other spec's. Transmission builders are loosing their minds!

The software programming for the transmission will affect fluid recommendations as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back