Recommended brake fluid brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 99% of drivers, DOT3 any brand will more than suffice in any car or light truck application even if you do not flush it annually. You guys sound like you are going racing or something. If an application calls for DOT 3, then really thats all you need.

Prior to my Dmax, I owned a Tacoma TRD and beat the [censored] out of it towing here in phoenix. I flushed the brake fluid using plain jane DOT 3, as per owner's manual(of course they say use toyota) and never had any issues and the fluid was fairly clean when exchanged. I now use DOT3 in my Dmax, and have zero issues. I think the engineer's might be a bit more informed on what work's in these brake systems. Just saying...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
You guys sound like you are going racing or something. If an application calls for DOT 3, then really thats all you need.

Ya know, Whether you want just a little bit better brake fluid or not is your choice.

It is not mine, nor that of some others.

Great story though...

I just did my wife's 2010 Outback with Valvoline Dot 3&4 brake fluid. My other choice's at time of purchase were Prestone or Weaver. Castrol was out of stock. On the back label of the Valvoline it states,"LMA".

Last edited:
For 99% of drivers, DOT3 any brand will more than suffice in any car or light truck application even if you do not flush it annually. You guys sound like you are going racing or something. If an application calls for DOT 3, then really thats all you need.

I agree. However, it's time for a laugh. You know I've been on this site too much, and reading this thread in particular too much, when I had a dream last night about choosing a DOT 4 brand to upgrade from DOT 3.

Whatever the OWNER'S MANUAL SPECIFIES!

When in doubt READ the OWNER'S MANUAL!

While the differences may be tiny I would stick with whatever the manual says.

You guys sound like you are going racing or something.

Some of us actually do (go road racing that is)!

In which case a higher boiling point (wet AND dry) DOT 4 fluid is both justified and 'practical'.
wink.gif

I like Valvoline Dot 3/4. Just flushed/bleed my c7500 and had to use a gallon of it.
eek.gif

Yes I'm quite familiar with racing and the brake fluids that go along with them. But if I recall the OP doesn't road race nor was his question based around a track car.

LOL, no road racing my Taco. I keep trying to get the wife to let me turn in the coupon we got when we bought her Mazda to take to racing school, but she won't let me.

I picked up a bottle of the Pyroil Valvoline DOT4 stuff. I probably won't be able to get to it until January now, though.
frown.gif

My last interim change, through the "Turkey Baster" method, I used Pennzoil, Heavy Duty, Dot 3 from Big Lots. IMO....At $1.70 for 12 ounces....a very good deal.

I usually bleed the entire system every 3 years. However, I like to change out the reservoir fluid a couple of times a year, as maintenance, to clean up the fluid.

You guys sound like you are going racing or something.

Now that you mention it...

2011-04-30_HoosierBMW_1690.jpg

24096_103114016388261_100000689892391_84529_7773030_n.jpg

Originally Posted By: MisterBen
I am looking to do a brake fluid flush on my truck in the near future. I was at O'Reilly's tonight, and all they had was their house brand and Prestone Synthetic DOT 3. They had another brand of DOT 4 I didn't recognize.

Are there any recommended DOT 3 brake fluid brands, or is any fluid certified to fit requirements good to go?

Also, how much do I need to do a fluid flush? In the house brand I could get up to a gallon.

Brake fluid needs changing every 2 years maximum as it absorbs water, as it absorbs water it lowers the boiling point and increases corrosion in the breaking system.

You'll need about a litre/quart (get a couple if you want to give em a right good flushing through), best to suck the old fluid out of the reservoir first and fill with the new fluid before flushing the lines through, then you'll be flushing the lines out with fresh fluid rather than with bad stuff in the reservoir.

Most Dot 4 fluids are approved to Dot 3 as well but get a good one as they are not all equal. I don't know what's available where you are but Shell and ATE make really good ones.

Riggaz

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back