Of What Use Is An "Upper Cylinder Lubricant"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MMO and other products are marketed as upper cylinder lubricants.

Why would the upper cylinder need lubricating?

The valve stems and piston rings are oiled by the engine lube system.

Adding oil to the fuel, even a thin oil, would increase the deposits on the spark plugs, valves, valve seats and piston, resulting in combustion chamber problems appearing sooner.

Can someone explain how these products help?

Most modern engines today have a lube system that sprays the cylinders, so I agree with you there really is no benefit from these products. Older engines maybe, but I don't "believe" in UCL's. I like MMO for cleaning and fuel system upkeep but I agree with you, I don't think they are of any benefit and more marketing hype.
27.gif

Last edited:
Supposed to help lube,or cushion the valve face/seat area,lubricate the fuel system (pump,injectors),and maybe some of the upper areas in the cylinder/bore area itself.How much it really does is a "mystery".

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Most modern engines today have a lube system that sprays the cylinders,

Never heard of this - please explain.

I use it in vain hope of counteracting the effects of ethanol on the fuel pump and injectors. (although I really shouldn't worry on the Chrysler with all the SRT/4 guys running E-85 on the OE fuel pump, many do run a Walbro pump instead though)

UCL have been used in alcohol race engines for a long time. Alcohol is a solvent and it will wash oil off the cylinder walls, and cause increased wear. UC lubes are not really needed with normal, non-ethanol, fuel. The use of 15% ethanol in today's fuel have caused people, like me, to add UC lube to the fuel. I do not know if it helps the cylinder walls, but from my personal experience the UCL keeps the fuel system clean and free of corrosion.

I use 2 stroke oil.

Originally Posted By: NCGuy68

Never heard of this - please explain.

Modern engines have piston oil jets that squirt oil UNDER the piston, for cooling and lubricating benefits. That oil also helps lubricate the cylinder walls but that's about it.

As far as upper cylinder lubrication... i call baloney as well. until i see a back to back study done on two engines, one ran with regular fuel and one with the additive and it shows considerably LESS cylinder wall wear, over the course of 200k+ i'll consider BELIEVING in the product but still see absolutely NO POINT in actually spending money on said additives. Waste of money.

27.gif

Interesting then all modern engines should be consuming oil needing top offs between OCIs. Many people report no oil use at all. I think if oil is sprayed as a UCL it would be sprayed in on top of the pistons. UCL also refers to a "top oil", oil being supplied to the top of the cylinders, not from the bottom up. AFAIK the modern engine oiling system doesn't oil the cylinder from the top down, does it?

Top cylinder wear was much more common in cars from early 50's and older that used a mesh air filter. I've opened a couple that had the upper ring lands completely worn away from debris.

I am currently on my 4th qt of TCW3. Runnin a lil test...

While using it as an UCL, I have no loss of oil from the crankcase.

Without it I have crankcase oil consumption.

What gives?

Jim

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
I am currently on my 4th qt of TCW3. Runnin a lil test...

While using it as an UCL, I have no loss of oil from the crankcase.

Without it I have crankcase oil consumption.

What gives?

Jim

I had the same observations with my Aerostar, oil use was less with TCW3 vs. MMO. W/O adding a UCL oil use was more across the board. I believe a top oil makes for a better ring seal in older worn engines. I also believe that TCW3 is better at reducing oil burning than MMO. I think MMO is a better cleaner than TCW3, and a good UCL. Keep in mind oil use can come from worn rings, bad stem seals, bad valve guides, or a leak. A UCL is only going to help if the oil use is caused from ring wear, and it would depend on just how bad the rings are. JMO from experimenting, sorry no scientific data.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

UCL have been used in alcohol race engines for a long time. Alcohol is a solvent and it will wash oil off the cylinder walls, and cause increased wear. UC lubes are not really needed with normal, non-ethanol, fuel. The use of 15% ethanol in today's fuel have caused people, like me, to add UC lube to the fuel. I do not know if it helps the cylinder walls, but from my personal experience the UCL keeps the fuel system clean and free of corrosion.

I use 2 stroke oil.

Where are you getting 15% ethanol fuel?

I certainly can't call complete bunk on upper cylinder lubes. I'd call it OCD. Sure, it might be somewhat beneficial in the extreme long run, or if someone wants their maintenance to be as "perfect" as they can get it, but realistically, it's not going to matter. Engines run hundreds of thousands of miles without UCLs.

I have a suspicion a lot of the old codgers who are still peeved about the removal of lead from fuel are big proponents of UCLs.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I have a suspicion a lot of the old codgers who are still peeved about the removal of lead from fuel...

"old codgegrs"
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy

Adding oil to the fuel, even a thin oil, would increase the deposits on the spark plugs, valves, valve seats and piston, resulting in combustion chamber problems appearing sooner.

Not so, as a proper 2-cycle oil doesn't cause these problems in 2-cycle engines while used at 1:50 ratio.

While I don't believe in the UC needing lubing in 4-cycle engines, TCW3 type oils seem to clean rings and produce less explosive burn.

Originally Posted By: Garak
...a lot of the old codgers who are still peeved about the removal of lead from fuel are big proponents of UCLs.

Knowing full well that tetraethyl lead is a nerotoxin and been banned from use for publid-health reason, it begs the question why someone would want them back? So that they ended up absorbing more lead into their bloodstream? bear childrens that may ended up having health-related issues or defects due to excessive(unneeded) lead accumulation on their parent's body?!

I thank the authorities when tetraethyl lead was outlawed/banned, and then MMT.

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back