Winter tire opinion needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to get winter tires for my 11 Accord, my car comes stock with 18 inch rim the oem tire size is 235-45-18. The question is if I just get the the tires probably a michelin x-ice, for a set of 4 from Tire Rack I'm looking at about $800 and would have to get them mounted and balanced on my stock rims. However if I down size to 215-60-16, I can get them( Blizzak 70)on a 16inch steel rim (correct bolt pattern) mounted and hunter balanced for under $700, neither of these prices include shipping which would be $80 dollars. Which would you get? how would going smaller affect my ride quality? I like the fact that with the tires on the steel rims I can wait longer, perhaps to the first major snow storm before I put them on in the garage. Opinions appreciated please.

I bought my winter tires 2 years ago, 1 inch smaller size. Works amazing in the snow, dont know about 2 inches. Steel rims however have been amazing in the snow, I clean them once a year and there is no rusting/discoloration and they are must more durable than alloy rims.

I have 2 sets of winter tires on steel wheels, one for my wife's xB, and one for my son's 300D-but I would check the size of your brakes to make sure the smaller size would clear the calipers. Narrower seems to work better in winter, I would probably try to stick with the factory size to avoid speedometer error.

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Ensure that they will clear your brake calipers, and you will be happier with a taller tire sidewall during the winter months.

+1

The smallest factory size offered on the Accord is a 16inch, and tire rack is saying they would fit, in fact they recommend the 16, but of course I have considered the brake clearance, and am on the fence.

Thanks for the push guys, I'am going to go with the 16 Blizzaks 70's on the steel rims. I just called tire rack and they guarantee no brake clearance issues. It will be my Xmas present to myself.

Over the years, I have purchased multiple sets of dedicated snow tires and steel wheels from Tire Rack. Paying for tire remounts on the OEM wheels twice per season never made any sense to me. If Tire Rack indicates that they will fit over the brake calipers without interference, my preference would be for the 16 inch set. The taller sidewall will give you better tire and rim protection from bad roads, and the narrower tread width will perform better in snow. The lower price is just an added benefit. Go tall and skinny for the snow. All of this is predicated on the assumption that dry road handling is not your priority during the winter months.

You sure it will be $80.00 to ship the wheels and tires? The shipping price usually doubles when you ship a wheel and tire combo.

Originally Posted By: Sluggo0018
All of this is predicated on the assumption that dry road handling is not your priority during the winter months.

This is the wildcard in choosing winters. Where in NY do you live? Big difference in the decision path between living in the city and say, lake effect snow belt. Your solution is best in a heavy snow area where roads aren't always plowed and end up in a packed snow or sheet of ice condition. I live in a metro area where the streets are lowed and salted quickly so, heavy snow driving lasts for one day. The vast majority of my winter driving is in the city on salt-encrusted but dry, clear roads. Given this, I went with Blizzak performance tires LM-22s on my Speed3. I get through the snow just fine and retain most of the car's handling prowess during the 90% of winter with clear dry roads. I did not buy an extra set of wheels because I wanted to maintain the OE size for performance and because I struck a deal with my local Firestone store to give me free spring and fall swaps in exchange for all my tire and service business on my fleet of five cars below. Point is, it's not a one-size-fits-all solution for winter tires. Think through your driving conditions and priorities.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
All of this is predicated on the assumption that dry road handling is not your priority during the winter months.

This is the wildcard in choosing winters. Where in NY do you live? Big difference in the decision path between living in the city and say, lake effect snow belt. Your solution is best in a heavy snow area where roads aren't always plowed and end up in a packed snow or sheet of ice condition. I live in a metro area where the streets are lowed and salted quickly so, heavy snow driving lasts for one day. The vast majority of my winter driving is in the city on salt-encrusted but dry, clear roads. Given this, I went with Blizzak performance tires LM-22s on my Speed3. I get through the snow just fine and retain most of the car's handling prowess during the 90% of winter with clear dry roads. I did not buy an extra set of wheels because I wanted to maintain the OE size for performance and because I struck a deal with my local Firestone store to give me free spring and fall swaps in exchange for all my tire and service business on my fleet of five cars below. Point is, it's not a one-size-fits-all solution for winter tires. Think through your driving conditions and priorities.

And there in lies the benefit of separate rims...

You can change them when you want, and not have to depend on someone else to do it only once a season for you.

It also lessens the risk of damage to a tire during the mounting/dismounting procedure. Not to mention the damage to your one and only set of rims do to poor road conditions.

Yup, I would have gotten a second set of wheels except that I have free storage and free swaps so I didn't need to spend the extra grand. No issues with wheel or tire damage after three years of swapping back and forth.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
You sure it will be $80.00 to ship the wheels and tires? The shipping price usually doubles when you ship a wheel and tire combo.

Yes the total shipping cost, is $78 dollars, UPS was the cheapest. The expected delivery is Dec 15-16.

I don't live in the city, and the roads can remain unplowed for many, many,many days. BTW I see you have the same car I have, I badly bent one of the rims last year on a winter pot hole with a bad bulge in the the tire. A new tire and OEM rim, I couldn't find a single rim used, was over $800. So the steel rims are the way to go can't beat $59 each.

It doesn't bother you to put steel wheels on a brand new car? You can get some pretty nice alloys for ~$100 or so.

Our Honda will get by just fine with the OE AS tires this year.

Last edited:
It doesn't bother you to put steel wheels on a brand new car? You can get some pretty nice alloys for ~$100 or so.

Our Honda will get by just fine with the OE AS tires this year.

A little bit, but I really don't like after market rims, and a second OEM set will put me back a least a 1k. Not worth it in my opinion, my safety is more important, and when I put them on m car they'll be snow on the roads, I don't think any one else will care.

Call Honda dealers asking for "Used OEM" wheels, many owners upgraded OEM wheels to larger wheels, dealers have plenty Used OEM wheels for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back