Color change Mobil Delvac 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 partial jugs (total about 1 gallon) of Mobil Delvac 1 purchased in November 2009 (open for 10-15 months) that have a noticeable different color from a recently purchased gallon. It has gone from a light amber to darker, thought not black at all (you can still see light through it).

Is this color change normal for aged oil? Should I avoid using this oil?

it's been in my Atlanta area GA basement, definitely dark but not climate controlled.

The question is was the old oil originally darker.. or did it turn darker.

Originally Posted By: Rand
The question is was the old oil originally darker.. or did it turn darker.

the only other thing I can think of would maybe be moisture and/or oxidation.

I've had different jugs of Delvac that were in deed a different shade of color i wouldn't hesitate to use it but thats me.

I've had some MC 5000 before and half the quarts were one color, half were slightly lighter. Maybe some were older and were a slightly different formulation. Who knows. The oil ran fine, though.

Possible that the oil came from two separate batches, or even from two different blenders. I've said this before on this site, but it might surprise you where XOM gets some of their products made. It's not all in the same place.

Odds are it is fine to use, if it did change color from the date of original purchase their might be oxidization but not likely - unless the oil got contaminated somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back