2002 Passat 1.8t Mobil1 0-40, 5100 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is new to me with 116k on the odo and 5100 miles on this oil change. Has had a pretty steady dose of Mobil1 from quickie lube place at 5k intervals with the small oil filters. I'm just glad to see no glycol and no crazy high metals, but not too fond of that copper number.

Code:

Iron 9

Chromium 0

Lead 0

Copper 15

Tin 0

Aluminum 3

Nickel 0

Silver 0

Vanadium 0

Silicon 9

boron 114

Sodium 10

Potassium 3

Magnesium 27

Calcium 2911

Phosphorus 1136

Zinc 1141

Moly 71

Barium 0

Visc 100c cst12.62

Fuel NA

Glyc NA

Soot 0.6

Oxidation 25 ***Flagged as slightly above normal

Nitration 10.5

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it might have originally been 10k but with all the sludge problems they dialed it back to 5k.

How much copper was there previously?

Also, copper could be coming from turbo bearings. I have certainly dealt with turbo problems on VW 1.8T engines at 100,000 miles, HOWEVER, that applied to people who used dino oil and changed every 3000 miles.

Copper COULD be turbo bearings, but I think it's more likely to be the oil cooler- if it has an oil cooler, anyway. Does the VW 1.8T use plain bearings, or ball bearings?

Last edited:
Oil coolers are prone to failure on these from what I understand, and I've been suspect of mine due to funny-looking coolant that I flushed out. Would a bad oil cooler really show up in UOA?

Originally Posted By: zanzabar
Oil coolers are prone to failure on these from what I understand, and I've been suspect of mine due to funny-looking coolant that I flushed out. Would a bad oil cooler really show up in UOA?

It can! Their purpose is to detect contaminants and monitor oil life.

You should be using the pink G11 coolant if you are not.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

It can! Their purpose is to detect contaminants and monitor oil life.

Huh, I thought there was a reason I paid $20 for an analysis, but couldn't remember!
wink.gif

Oil cooler replaced. Any way to test it (it holds as much pressure as I could give it with lungs and a bike pump as far as I could tell) besides cracking it open and looking inside?

Last edited:
Actually, the B5/B5.5 Passats were 5k mile OCIs. The change was when they changed required filter and use of synthetic oil. Previously recommended was reg oil, smaller filter, and still 5k mile intervals. That may have been sort of okay, except this car has a smaller sump that the transversed mounted version, which is why they later recommended larger filter.

Having owned an Audi 1.8T.... 5K (8000km's) OCI's is the maximum.

I did a 6,200 mile (10,000 km) OCI once, and the oil looked black and burnt.

My indie mechanic at the time even told me that yup, 5,000 was when it should be changed.

EDIT: I was using Motul 5w40 for the last 3 years I had the car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back