BND Automotive's Quantum Blue 15/40 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the UOA numbers for the Quantum Blue as done by Titan labs in Denver. I had this done in November of 04, and I have gone thru an oil change since this was done.

I tried to do one last OUA on this truck,( I'm selling it this week ) but I had developed an intake gasket or head gasket leak that let coolant into the oil, thus ruining the sample. All repairs have been made, and the new owner gets a fresh oil change.

The truck had 200,141 miles on it at the time of the test. I had run the previous 8,000 miles on the Quantum Blue 15w40, drained it, then replaced it with same. After 3,439 miles on THIS oil change, I took a sample from the oil pan. I then topped it off, and ran it for 10,000 miles total.

Vehicle 1987 K5 Blazer, 305 V8 TBI 700R4 Automatic

Viscosity cSt@ 100c .. 14.0

SAE grade 100c .. 40

Fuel soot % WT 0.0

No water, Fuel dilution, or anti freeze

Wear Metals PPM

Chromium 1

Copper 6

Iron 58

Lead 10

Tin 0

Aluminum 4

Silicon ( Dirt ) 11

Additives and Other Metals, PPM ( Additive package in base stock )

Antimony 0

Barium 0

Boron 6

Cadmium 1

Calcium 1694

Magnesium 301

Molybdenum 10

Nickel 0

Phosphorus 2555

Silver 0

Sodium 45

Titanium 45

Zinc 710

According to Titan Labs, this UOA qualified my truck for their "peak performance" protection program, where Titan says they'll pay me one thousand dollars if a covered part fails due to a lubrication failure. Kinda cool for for a 200,000+ mile vehicle.

Tom

With 3400 miles on this sample, 58 ppm of iron seems a bit high. Two other oddities; Sodium seems very high, and I don't think I've ever seen Titanium above 1 or 2 ppm. Are there titanium parts in this motor?

I think this is the first UOA on any Quantum Blue oil. As of yet, I am not impressd. They make extravigant claims that place them up there with Slick 50 and Duralube. They use a group III base oil and market it like it is a scientific breakthrough that they thought up. And, on top of all of this, the prices are out of this world (justified by their mentioning of the Rocket and aerospace industries).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back