Which oil/grease is used in liftgate struts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am talking about the struts which holds up your hood or trunk. Is there a way to get more life out of them or after a decade is it time for a new set? I am wondering if few drops of ATP re-seal on the shaft would be a bone-head move or not!

Replace them. Not a serviceable item. It's usually not difficult and not expensive. Don't need dealer parts. Strong Arm, Sachs, and others at auto parts store. 10 years is about it. Cold weather brings out the worst in them.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Its a gas charge.Once its gone,its gone.

This. Not serviceable. They have a lifespan so just replace them when they wear out. Not very difficult, though typically a second set of hands will make things easier.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Replace them. Not a serviceable item. It's usually not difficult and not expensive. Don't need dealer parts. Strong Arm, Sachs, and others at auto parts store. 10 years is about it. Cold weather brings out the worst in them.

Heat is bad as well.

I have always lived in FL, and none of my parents cars ever got more than 5 years from hood and trunk lift struts.

My Pathfinder's are still OEM after 11 years and they're still working decently. Too bad one of them is welded on - I replaced the back door, broke a strut bolt during the process, couldn't remove it, and had the strut bracket welded on one side instead. I probably should've gotten a new strut before having them weld it on.
33.gif

Strut replacement procedure is probably like wiper replacement procedure. Unless you have done it before, the instructions seem lot more cryptic than they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back