OCI and oil for new (to me) driving style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
You happen to send out the old oil for a UOA?

Yes, I did. Just the basic one though. It'll be interesting to see how the Dollar General oil worked out. I changed it just in time as there's been nothing but rain and wind here lately. I'm hoping to ride out the worst of winter on this MS5k. That is, if I can get used to the smell. This stuff stinks like bathroom cleaner or something. Doesn't even smell like oil to me.
I don't know if you read it, but the latest edition of the magazine "Collectible Automobile" has a full write-up on the 1975-1980 Ford Granada. I'll be picking it up soon!

I get lots of people telling me they saw a car like that somewhere. Last one I saw in the wild was an '80 Ghia 2dr on a car lot. Guy wanted around 5k for it. Somehow, I don't think he'll get it. The only old car rag I get is the Hemmings' Motor News. Great for finding parts and services.

Last edited:
Looking forward to that UOA!

Not to predict too much, but it will most likely still have high lead showuing in it, as the last one had a lot from running leaded gas in years gone past....might never get a 'clean' one on this beast!

Quite possible. I'm more curious in the other metals to see what, if any change occurs from the thinner oil. The white Performax filter I cut open was the one from the last UOA. Someone had suggested that I might find chunks of "what used to be bearings" inside. I did find some chunky crud in the cans, but nothing alarming.
Currently, I'm rather interested in how long it takes to use the 1st qt of this current oil fill. I don't mind doing a few experiments as I learn a little something from each.

I really don't think the lead in your last analysis was chunks of bearing material.

In a 1977 article on oil analysis in Popular Science, they say the lead reading for cars running leaded gas is meaningless, as it will always show high. That is most likely the case here.

If it is just the old deposits from leaded regular, the high lead UOAs should abate after a few changes, don't you think?

They did go down about 25-30%, but others increased slightly, so I may do another change during winter. 2nd UOA now posted.
Listed by new#, old# for comparison

Last edited:
I'm also curious about consumption will be with this latest fill...no 'left over' additives of 10W-40 to affect consumption...just a straight 30-wt. SN/GF oil.

I'm also curious about consumption will be with this latest fill...no 'left over' additives of 10W-40 to affect consumption...just a straight 30-wt. SN/GF oil.

Now @ 47.7k Checked level at 500 miles use. No discernable drop yet, though it usually takes 2k to use the 1st qt. I will say the engine sounds better under load with this oil. Smoother with less lag.
I just got 12 gallons of Lubrizol XD 30w SJ rating for free.
cool.gif

I can use this in the summers or for add oil. If I saved it just for my lawnmower and power washer, it would take me 42 years to use it up.

That 30wt. you got would be a GREAT oil for this car in the summer! I wouldn't use it as top-off in the winter, tho - just run it straight in the spring/summer/fall, when temps are above -5C......

They are phasing out that 30w where I work since they will no longer service the forklifts in-house. When it's gone, it's gone. Gotta look for more jugs.
smile.gif

Get all you can - seriously, it will work in all but the coldest weather. Modern straight-30's are actually closer to 15W-30.

My manual specs 30w for use above freezing to 100 deg F, so I can run it about 8 months. Being an CF/SJ oil, I wouldn't need any Zinc additives either.

@48k
Will be at 1k on MS5k on Monday with no real oil consumption. When I filled it, level was 1/8" above full line. Now at exactly full. Foul smell under hood is nearly gone.
smile.gif

Scored another 4gal of free 30w, bringing my total to 16 gallons. I did some "pricing" today and that's some serious coin saved. Cheapest 30w I saw in my travels was Rotella at $18/gal.

Nice score!
This oil will be really good for most of the year for that old Granada, and you can't beat free.

@48.1k
scored another 3 gallons of free XD30w
smile.gif
bringing total to 19 gallons. I'll have one more oil change in winter and I'm going to try some ST I'd bought a couple months ago and see how it does. So far, it looks like this MS5k will be my new winter oil. Consumption seems way down and now I'm not getting choked out by burning oil smell every time I'm off the gas at a stop. I believe the other oils were burning off inside the crankcase from the temps. The smell used to be that of spilled oil burning on hot pipes. No leaks visible on or under engine beyond minor seepage.
Tried adding a CD player this week with poor results. At an idle, my electrics fluctuate causing modern stereo to cut in and out and ride is too rough for discs to play. Would have to have stereo in my lap while driving to listen to it. I'm sticking with the factory 8-track for now.

8-track! LOL!

...okay, I guess, if you HAVE cartridges for it!

Several hundred actually.
wink.gif
I still record my own from blanks.
smile.gif
I've also got a few of those cassette adaptors as well.

Now the car just got nailed by hit&run driver in my driveway and a driver-side tail light is needed badly. No local yards here have one. 78-80 fits. If anyone can find one, please let me know.

@ 48.8k
Have added 1/2 qt since I was right at the add-line. I've found the oil seems to last longer if I let it stay down a half qt or so.
I've sort-of repaired the busted light assembly with lots of tape and bubble wrap. Hopefully it holds up till I can find an affordable light. Best offer yet was $230 USD. If that's what a used light goes for, they should give me 3k for the whole car.

$230 for a light assembly - ouch!

They are treating it like a sought-after collectors piece; you just need it for a budget daily driver! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back