1981 volkswagen rabbit pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recently received this truck for free and would like to bring it back to life. Its a turbo diesel and body looks great! Been in storage for years. I put a new battery in it and it was cranking over but just would not start, I changed the oil put fresh gas but still. I'm not familiar with diesel so any advice would be appreciated. Once I get it started, off to the paint shop we go. I did notice a line going to a glow plug was cut, some weird looking braided line but it wasent metal. Also do they make chilton books for these little trucks?

"Fresh gas"

I assume you put diesel fuel into it and meant that, instead of gasoline?

That's the only help I can offer on this topic....

Putting gas in a diesel usually causes them not to start. I had a 84 diesel Rabbit that was a good car and what you have is called a "caddy" to people who own them. These little trucks are still worth about $3K in any decent condition and yes they do make Chilton type books for them. Too many things can cause them to not start, but it is turning over so that is a good sign! Glow plugs really help in the winter and if it is warm it should still start eventually. Maybe you have a bad fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.

Nice find! It sound like you need to check the glow plug circuit out, find out what wire that is and connect it.
There maybe be a plunger on the side of the pump that needs to be be pumped to prime the pump and purge the air out of the pump.

The braided line you refer to was common on German cars for decades, its fabric covered.
They covered fuel line, heater hoses and vacuum hoses with this stuff, it can be replaced with modern non covered hoses of the correct type and pressure ratings.

Edit: The pump is common on MB diesels of this era but I'm not sure about VW, it will look like a knob on the side of the pump, unscrew it and pump about 20 times.

Last edited:
Yes, we all hope you didn't really put "gas" in it. If you have put gas in a diesel you will have to drain all of that fuel out of there before trying it. I'm pretty sure that in '81 you could not get a turbo diesel, so that is a naturally aspirated diesel engine.

WOW what a find!!

1. check the glow plugs. put a test light or meter and make sure they are getting good power when the key is set to "glow."

2. might pull a plug itself and ground the case, make sure it gets hot, as well.

3. the bane of those diesels is the fuel delivery. I'd be suspicious that lines could be clogged, tank pump (if it has one) gummed up, and the injector pump gummed up. I think it would easily be worth R&R of the pump if it needs it.

Last edited:
If the glow plugs aren't heating up, there's a fuse located on the firewall in a small black box (that's where it's located on the passenger car version). It's a weird looking fuse; looks like a flat strap of metal held in place with a couple of nuts, IIRC.

I used to drive a Rabbit diesel passenger car and this fuse became so brittle, it crumbled away.

What others have said- glow plugs first, does it have fuel pressure at the injectors" It might have trapped air in the system- there are different procedures on different diesel engines for clearing air lock, but a redneck repair trick is to crack the fuel line fittings at each injector and crank until diesel drips out (or it starts, then shut down and tighten fittings).

Also, has the timing chain or belt jumped? That happens to diesels too.

I had a co-worker in the early 90s who had a VW diesel of that same era. 0 to 60 in... pretty much never. I think a Model A could keep up with traffic better, it couldn't be more UN-like today's TDI. But talk about fuel mileage!

Originally Posted By: Trav
Nice find! It sound like you need to check the glow plug circuit out, find out what wire that is and connect it.
There maybe be a plunger on the side of the pump that needs to be be pumped to prime the pump and purge the air out of the pump.

The braided line you refer to was common on German cars for decades, its fabric covered.
They covered fuel line, heater hoses and vacuum hoses with this stuff, it can be replaced with modern non covered hoses of the correct type and pressure ratings.

Edit: The pump is common on MB diesels of this era but I'm not sure about VW, it will look like a knob on the side of the pump, unscrew it and pump about 20 times.

There is that plunger on the side. I pressed it a couple times, I was thinking it was some kind of primer. But I will try again after I change the fuel filter. And sorry guys I'm so used to the term gas. I did put diesel fuel in it. I was thinking it was some glow plug issue. There really cheap so it might be a good idea to change them anyway. It is a turbo, its small but it there's haha.

Originally Posted By: meep
WOW what a find!!

1. check the glow plugs. put a test light or meter and make sure they are getting good power when the key is set to "glow."

2. might pull a plug itself and ground the case, make sure it gets hot, as well.

3. the bane of those diesels is the fuel delivery. I'd be suspicious that lines could be clogged, tank pump (if it has one) gummed up, and the injector pump gummed up. I think it would easily be worth R&R of the pump if it needs it.

I am thinking also a fuel delivery issue since it so for so long. And it is worth it to fix the truck as parts cost nearly nothing for this truck. I will check what you said also. Thanks

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
What others have said- glow plugs first, does it have fuel pressure at the injectors" It might have trapped air in the system- there are different procedures on different diesel engines for clearing air lock, but a redneck repair trick is to crack the fuel line fittings at each injector and crank until diesel drips out (or it starts, then shut down and tighten fittings).

Also, has the timing chain or belt jumped? That happens to diesels too.

I had a co-worker in the early 90s who had a VW diesel of that same era. 0 to 60 in... pretty much never. I think a Model A could keep up with traffic better, it couldn't be more UN-like today's TDI. But talk about fuel mileage!

hahaha I've heard they are very slow. But you will past many gas stations before you even need to fill up.

Thanks everyone. I will post up some pictures soon. Would like to get it
running first. Very unique truck, looked on craigslist for a similar one and could not find any. Also tried to get information from mitchell but nothing. Would be nice to get a exploded view of the engine.

Last edited:
They don't cost much to keep on the road but they don't have much traction with a load in the back. Good for commuting though. Old diesel fuel can break down into a pretty nasty mess, even get algae growing in it.

Last edited:
I believe the caddys of that era were NON-turbo diesels, so if you have a turbo you've had a transplant. This could only make the truck more awesome.

There MUST be a specific forum for these, but if you post pictures of your engine bay, someone here would probably play armchair guru.

Didnt think the turbos were added to the diesels until late 80s at the earliest....

If I am to believe wikipedia, it does say a 1.6 diesel w/ turbo was sold in Canada "and abroad" sometime between 1980 and 1984.

I would not be surprised if during the life of the vehicle someone transplanted that turbo engine into his truck.

But maybe not, the owner stated he doesn't know much about VW pick up diesels anyhow.

When reasonably maintained these little vehicles will soldier on just about forever, contrary to the popular myths about VW many of their cars are as durable and reliable as anything from Asia.

Ask me I've owned quite a few.

Sometimes with glow plugs you can either feel their bases to see if they're warm, or you can ohm resistance between the pins, or the single pin and ground. A mercedes glow plug is about an ohm, for a 12 watt load. Of course it depends on if you're wired in series or parallel etc. If you're a daring sort you can try just a touch of ether (starting fluid) but don't get carried away. (This is where people reply DON'T DO THIS so I'll premptively mention it.
wink.gif
)

Also if it's a stick shift you can try roll starting it, just point it down a steep hill in 3rd or 4th, the amazing engine speed and compression will start it even without working glow plugs.

A little OT, but it's a shame there are no such small diesel-powered trucks available in the US anymore. VW recently launched their Amarok pickup, but it's not really what I'd call small. Plus it's so darn expensive, VW isn't even planning to bring it to the US, probably because it just wouldn't sell at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back