Iso-Heet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have put a bottle of Iso-Heet in my vehicles every winter for years. With the ethanol now in the gas, is their any advantage to doing this anymore?

i was wondering the same thing last year, i always buy some "heat" and keep it in the truck, when the temp drops real low i add some.. but wonder if im waisting my time.

NO - if you are in a state with E10 you already have 10% methanol. No need to add any more to absorb water. In fact you do not want anymore than 10%. If you are having trouble and you know its water in the fuel, then its time to drain or pump what is in your tank.

Read the article on the Myths of E10 on this website.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
NO - if you are in a state with E10 you already have 10% methanol. No need to add any more to absorb water. In fact you do not want anymore than 10%. If you are having trouble and you know its water in the fuel, then its time to drain or pump what is in your tank.

Thanks! I hate the ethanol gas but in this area I'm held hostage and there's nothing I can do about it. It occurred to me there might be one advantage, not needing the Iso-Heet anymore. Not a very good trade off but better than nothing!

Ethanol gas does do what the old "dry gas" used to do, so you don't need to add it anymore in the winter if your gas already contains the 10% ethanol.

Originally Posted By: Donald

The E in E10 does not refer to Methanol, it refers to the other common alcohol that starts with an E.

I don't like alcohol in my fuel, but Iso-HEET does seem to improve starting.

Iso-HEET is just isopropyl alcohol. The only thing it does is absorb water and let the engine burn it. Ethanol does the same thing, so when you purchase 10 gallons of gas that is 10% ethanol you get a gallon of water-absorbing stuff instead of that little bottle of Iso-HEET.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Iso-HEET is just isopropyl alcohol. The only thing it does is absorb water and let the engine burn it. Ethanol does the same thing, so when you purchase 10 gallons of gas that is 10% ethanol you get a gallon of water-absorbing stuff instead of that little bottle of Iso-HEET.

Unless you get bad gas that already has water and crud in it, then the Heet can help burn the cruddy gas off. This is the reason to drive past stations that have a tanker truck filling the underground tanks. It stirs up the junk in the tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back