Dodge Ram 1500 w/ 4.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was shopping for a Jeep & ran across a 2002 Dodge Ram 4x4 with a 4.7L. i had a Dodge Ram with a 5.3L, but don't know anything about the 4.7's. The truck is in awesome condition, clean Carfax, 1 owner truck with 215,000 miles on it. Drives great, no "strange noises", great pick up. Any opinions on the 4.7L? Thanks.

You owned a Dodge Ram with a Chevy Silverado motor( 5.3L? )???
21.gif
grin.gif

Recent( 90's and on ) Dodge Ram's had the following V8's besides the 4.7L...

5.2L( 318 )
5.7L( HEMI )
5.9L( 360 )

Not to be a jerk but it really does matter which you had if you want to hear a valid comparison of what you had to the 4.7L.

As to the specific truck you talk of( 02 w/ 4.7L ). I would say avoid it #1 based on 200K+ and #2 based on it having the 4.7L. Here is why...

1 - the 4.7L, and especially the early models like that, were prone to sludge big time. Even vehicles that were maintained properly had sludge issues. I personally would never buy a used vehicle with that kind of mileage to begin with but most definitely not a 4.7L Ram from the early 2000's. Plus 2002 was the 1st year for the new Ram( 3rd Gen )and they had a lot of 1st year model problems.

2 - The 07 and earlier 4.7L is really underpowered( 235HP )for a full sized Ram which is very heavy. The only truck, IMO, it would do ok in is a regular cab, short bed, 2WD and even then it is a dawg! With 200K+ on the motor it has been worked very hard in it's life moving the big heavy brick of a truck and that adds a lot of wear and tear which tires a motor out. Gas mileage will actually be no better or even worse than the same truck w/ the 5.7L HEMI and there is a HUGE difference in the power between the 2. The 5.7L is THE motor for pre 2008 Rams( in 08 the 4.7L was redesigned and HP bumped to 310 ).

I actually have owned three 3rd Gen 1500 Rams. I had a 2003 Quad Cab 4WD w/ 4.7L, a 2004 Quad Cab 4WD w/ 5.7L HEMI, and a 2008 Quad Cab 4WD w/ 5.7L HEMI. The 4.7L was "ok" but as I said above vastly underpowered for the heavy Ram trucks. I sold it about a year and a half after buying it and moved up to the same truck with the HEMI and what a difference. I never should have settled for the 03 w/ 4.7L. I was after a new truck but when I was buying( late fall 2002 )the 5.7L HEMI was not yet available in the 1500's so I made a mistake and settled for the 4.7L. Didn't take long to realize my error. So, in the summer of 04 I sold it and got the HEMI powered truck and as said it was night and day between the two.

I actually owned 3 2nd Gen 1500 Rams before the 3rd Gen ones( 94 w/ 5.2L and then 97 & 01 w/ 5.9L ). The 94 with the 5.2L was the only one that was more of a dawg than the 03 w/ 4.7L I had. The 03 w/ 4.7L was better on gas than the 2nd Gen Rams but the 2 HEMI Ram's I had got better MPG than all of the trucks before them. The 04 non MDS got better MPG than the 08 w/ MDS but both HEMI trucks were better on gas than the earlier trucks.

JMHO based on years of Ram truck ownership is to pass on that truck unless you get it for almost nothing. Even then if it is going to be asked to be a relliable vehicle used often for transportion/commuting to work and not just weekend warrior work I would still pass. Look for a 2004+ truck with the 5.7L HEMI( 1st year in 03 there were some programming differences on the 5.7L - 04+ is a better choice )and you will be so much happier even if you have to spend a little more for it.

Last edited:
I drove a 2005 QC 4x4 Ram with a 4.7 for about two years. Nice truck. As stated before, a little short on power. Engine seemed fine, although I traded it around 85K. If it hasnt been in extreme cold and the PCV valve has been replaced on time, shouldn't have sludge issues. Just pull a cam cover and check 'er out. 3.92 gears are a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back