Conventional that has great cold-flow properties?

Status
Not open for further replies.
... Or stick with synthetic?

Our 92 SE has become a short trip car, used for a commute that's 5 minutes each way (1/2 hour to walk, and it's gonna be getting really cold here soon). It might do two decent length drives per week.

I have been running PP to clean up the motor for a few changes. But now, I would like to run conventional if I can (Interested in NextGen Maxlife 5w30). I'm worried about cold flow though here in central MA. Are there some conventionals out there that have great cold flow properties? Or should I just stick with synthetic in my situation?

I would stay with PP; especially before the Winter. Go to conventional in the Spring if you like.

agreed.

And remember that cold flow properties are rated at well below freezing. How cold do you anticipate getting?

Also, remember that ANY oil is too thick at ambient temps. Something like Mobil 1 0W-30 will provide better cold flow than a 5W-30.

Even with last year's spell of well below freezing temps, there are no temps where we live that a 5W30 conv. can't handle.

My vehicles that run conventional did fine.

A good conventional can handle it, but a good synthetic is better for short hop winter driving like you describe. I have used both (5W-30) in the same cars here in upstate NY and there is definitely easier starting using the synthetic, especially when temps drop below zero. You can hear it in the starter motor.

Last edited:
A conventional oil that is thin in cold weather? Well a 5-20 would probably fit that bill well. Not sure if you want to use that in your application, though.

The maxlife / high mileage oils are usually on the thicker side of things. I'd stick with PP in 5-30, or find a different 5-30 oil.

Last edited:
In Fitchburg I wouldn't sweat the conventional vs. synthetic too much. Most of your weather is going to be above 0F and in those circumstances most conventionals are going to be just fine. I wouldn't lose sleep over the decision.

Since cold flow numbers are similar, would % moly and fatty ester in the package a better indicator for winter? Youll get poor fuel mileage regardless even with a 20 grade (NOT recommended)

Sounds like a little but of over thinking going on. If you were to put in pyb or qsgb in the correct grade it would do just fine for you. I believe mobil super is on the thin side I've used it before and really like it . It has titanium in it as well and can usually be had pretty cheap. Id probably go with Mobil super .

Here in Saskatchewan we get -40 celcius weather in the winter. I have been using the rotella 0w-30 synth blend. It's cheap,durable and did I mention cheap

Wish I could find Rotella 0w-30. However we do have the T6 5w40, which is overkill in just about everything I run it in.

Down here in Texas anything below 40 degrees is considered cold. Tonight it is getting down to 28 degrees, last I checked. People are freaking out.

Anyways, I did a OCI in my 2002 Taurus last week, 2 bottles of Supertech 15w40, 2 bottles of Chevron 10w30, 1 bottle of LubroMoly Moly additive, and I topped off using some other 10w30 in my stash.
It leaks, and through trial and error the 15w40 and Moly really helps slow it down.
This morning when I started it it was 38 degrees outside. It didn't sound or feel bad. It just does its thing.

I imagine that I wouldn't start to have trouble till I hit the low teens or maybe 0 degrees. However, I'm not sure this part of Texas has ever hit that type of low, or why I would be driving in it if we ever did.

I'm sure if I ran a quality conventional, I'm not going to notice much a difference in starting/ driving. I'm only concerned about minimizing cold start/trip long-term wear as much as possible. I've put so much work into this car I can't help but worry.

thanks for all the thorough input, very helpful. I figured if I'm being OCD about oil I'm in good company here.

Originally Posted By: Rachael
I have been running PP to clean up the motor for a few changes. But now, I would like to run conventional if I can (Interested in NextGen Maxlife 5w30). I'm worried about cold flow though here in central MA. Are there some conventionals out there that have great cold flow properties? Or should I just stick with synthetic in my situation?

I wouldn't worry terribly much in your climate. For peace of mind, you could use Chevron or Petro-Canada conventional 5w-30. Both are very nice.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Mobil Special 5W-30 has a 169 VI which puts it on par with most 5W-30 synthetics. If you can get it cheap that's probabily your best bet in a conventional 5W-30.

Peak 5W30 would be another one: http://www.peaklubricants.com/new_spec_sheets/peak_multigrade_motor_oil_spec_sheet_gf5.pdf

A VI of 169, and it's a thin 30W. This is what I put in my buddy's Subaru for the winter. It's seems to be regularly on sale for 12.00 w/filter. Hard to beat for the price.

I'm using Peak as my flush oil in a car I just replaced the headgaskets. It was on sale for 1.89 Run it about 100 miles and dump it X 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back