2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just picked me up a new daily driver/work car. I have used M1 40w and now M1 5w40 TDT in my LT1 from the recommendations on here. Difference is the Firehawk was driven from point a to b/driven hard. GTO won't be driven AS hard but I'll be using it to go see customers so it will be doing a good bit of city driving, stopping, starting back up multiple times. Will these oils do well for that? Previous owner has been using 5w30 M1 which is what is written on the cap.

Here are a couple of pics. Picked it up in North Carolina and its been great so far. Love being back in a 6 speed again. 99 camry was driving me crazy.lol

DSC01857.jpg

DSC01933.jpg

Nice car, good find.

newer GTO's are very under appreciated and disrespected. But in reality that's a whole lot of car!

The LS is really easy on oil. No real reason for 40w unless it has a consumption problem. Pick a nice 5w or 0w 30 and choose dino or synth based on how long you run it.

If it has the OLM I would pick a synthetic and simply follow the cars suggestions!

Looks very nice. I have a 2006. Wasn't that happy with how UOA's were turning out on M1 5w30 or PP 5w30 so I switched to GC and am a lot happier. When that stockpile is gone it's going on a diet of M1 0w40 as well.

I like the painted wheels.

My son has an 06 GTO modded with cam/intake/exhaust/tune, sees occasional track runs. Always has used M1 5W-30 with great results on 4000 mi OCI's.

350558843.jpg

Yellow is a very rare color for the GTOs and considering it's a 6spd with the optional 18" rims, it was definitely a special order when it was new...hold onto it because there probably aren't too many more like it out there. As for oil, any quality synthetic 5W30 will be fine. You could run the 0W40 in it, but I don't see any need for it in a stock LS engine.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

The LS is really easy on oil. No real reason for 40w unless it has a consumption problem. Pick a nice 5w or 0w 30 and choose dino or synth based on how long you run it.
If it has the OLM I would pick a synthetic and simply follow the cars suggestions!

I 2nd that suggestion.

Nice car!

Since its yellow I'd go with Pennzoil 5w-30 (since yellow is associated with Pennzoil
grin2.gif
) and that engine will work with ANY 5w-30 oil.

It really does not matter as long as its API rated 5w-30.

Love the car and color!
thumbsup2.gif

Be safe, Bill

thanks for all the comments guys! According to the build [censored] there were only 72 yellow jacket GTOs with the m6 and 18s made in 05. As far as oil consumption I dont know yet.It didnt use any on the way here from North Carolina. It only had 21,700 miles when i picked it up.

Our 06 civic calls for 5w20 and I have been using 30 Amsoil Sig Series. I might just switch both of them to 5w30 M1. I'm probably going to be changing the oil more often in the GTO since it will be driven more. So idk if i can afford paying for Amsoil.

And only 792 yellow for the year in any configuration.

Enjoy the car and be vigilant in checking the inside sidewalls of the front tire for contact with the struts. Check the fuel lines where they pass the plastic valve cover pieces. Also, check the distance from the hub to the top of the rear wheel wells, it looks like your rear springs may be shot (but it's hard to tell from that angle). IIRC it should be about 370mm from hub center.

Originally Posted By: cchase
And only 792 yellow for the year in any configuration.

Enjoy the car and be vigilant in checking the inside sidewalls of the front tire for contact with the struts. Check the fuel lines where they pass the plastic valve cover pieces. Also, check the distance from the hub to the top of the rear wheel wells, it looks like your rear springs may be shot (but it's hard to tell from that angle). IIRC it should be about 370mm from hub center.

Fuel line was taken care of by previous owner but I plan on keeping an eye on it. Inside sidewalls look good too. first thing i checked when I went to go look at it. He just installed eibach springs. The shocks may be a bit worn being they are stock. Never a good idea to use stock struts/shocks with lowering springs. I am planning on replacing all that but for right now it rides good and doesn't bottom out at all.

I don't have any oil info input but that's a sweet ride man. Much respect for those cars!

I have to admit that when they first came out I didn't think much of them other then a heavy car with a v8. Though the game changed in 05/06 with the LS2 I still didnt give them much thought. Only after I just happened to give one a test drive during my search of another car did I really want one.

Congrats on the Goat!
thumbsup2.gif

The 'comp grey' wheels look GREAT against the yellow!

BIG difference from a Camry!!!
lol.gif

Since you are in southern cajun country, you could also try the ol' M1 0W-30 AFE & M1 0W-40 50/50 mix, and save some coin when they go on sale.
wink.gif

BTW, my brother's LS2 in his C6 LOVES the Amsoil 0W-30 SSO, if you decide to go that route.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Congrats on the Goat!
thumbsup2.gif

lol.gif

Since you are in southern cajun country, you could also try the ol' M1 0W-30 AFE & M1 0W-40 50/50 mix, and save some coin when they go on sale.
wink.gif

BTW, my brother's LS2 in his C6 LOVES the Amsoil 0W-30 SSO, if you decide to go that route.

Just out of curiosity how did you know its comp grey? Is that the actual name? Thats how the previous owner listed it and just thought he named it that to just name it that.

What kind of results did your brother get from the 30 SSO? I didn't get any oil test sample in the civic but overall the mpg stayed consistent and it only burned little less then .5 quart at close to 20,000 miles. I'll be driving the GTO about 400 to 500 miles a week. So would i have to do it every 6 months maybe?

yeah going from driving a 6 speed cammed, with suspension fbody to a 99 camry wasnt fun. It was okay for the first month or so. Then i started getting an itch.lol But hey it did have a V6!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Firehawk409
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Congrats on the Goat!
thumbsup2.gif

lol.gif

wink.gif

Just out of curiosity how did you know its comp grey? Is that the actual name? Thats how the previous owner listed it and just thought he named it that to just name it that.

What kind of results did your brother get from the 30 SSO?

It's an actual, named C6 (and some C5 Z06es) wheel color (and the ONLY one I like on C6es {besides solid black}, regardless of their body color, HATE chrome, or polished wheels on them!
37.gif
).

My brother's C6 is yellow with that color solid 5 spoke, standard '06 C6 wheel, but he even painted his drag race wheels that color.
But I tend to call any GM performance car's wheels which are even close to that color 'comp grey', even if the owner used the Dupli-Color graphite color rattle can wheel paint.
wink.gif

He never did an oil analysis on the 0W-30 SSO, but it has to be doing VERY well in that engine since the time slips he gets with very few bolt-ons makes most not believe him until they actually see said time slips!!
(10.8s @ ~126 mph with; long tubes, Vararam, underdrive pulley, ~2800 stall, FAST LSX intake, tune, M/T drag radials & your car's alloy spare wheel with a narrow Moroso tire mounted on it as a front 'skinny'. He's trying to get some late-season GREAT air/DA, and is taking out the passenger seat and front sway bar, to reach for low 10.7s.
crazy2.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back