redline high temp atf fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

1996 avalon 160K miles

I did a trans fluid change (drain and fill only) twice, 100 miles inbetween. I changed the filter on the second time. I used Mobil 1 atf. Now it shifts HARD. Like a GM THM 350 with a shift kit. Is the Mobil 1 thinner?

I'm thinking of doing another drain and fill with Redline High Temp atf since it's thicker to smooth out the shifting. It's still DexronII certified. Mobil 1 is supposed to meet the toyota std (dexron II). I'm not worried about the cold since a "COLD" winter is only 30 degrees here in Phx, Az.

I'd like people's thought on this please. Redline and Mobil 1 both refused to comment on this issue. Great customer support.

Thx Guru's

Originally Posted By: Pman
Hi all,

1996 avalon 160K miles

I did a trans fluid change (drain and fill only) twice, 100 miles inbetween. I changed the filter on the second time. I used Mobil 1 atf. Now it shifts HARD. Like a GM THM 350 with a shift kit. Is the Mobil 1 thinner?

I'm thinking of doing another drain and fill with Redline High Temp atf since it's thicker to smooth out the shifting. It's still DexronII certified. Mobil 1 is supposed to meet the toyota std (dexron II). I'm not worried about the cold since a "COLD" winter is only 30 degrees here in Phx, Az.

I'd like people's thought on this please. Redline and Mobil 1 both refused to comment on this issue. Great customer support.

Thx Guru's

I don't think your problem is w/ viscosity but maybe w/ the add pack.I have heard a lot of people on here complain about M1 ATF giving hard shifts. Just a suggestion you might want to consider Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF. I love it in my 3 Honda tranny's no shift problems even with Honda's reputation for being picky w/ ATF fluid.
Good Luck.
Joe

Originally Posted By: jmb106
Hi all,

1996 avalon 160K miles

Thx Guru's

I don't think your problem is w/ viscosity but maybe w/ the add pack.I have heard a lot of people on here complain about M1 ATF giving hard shifts. Just a suggestion you might want to consider Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF. I love it in my 3 Honda tranny's no shift problems even with Honda's reputation for being picky w/ ATF fluid.
Good Luck.
Joe

X2 on Maxlife atf, some time cheap stuff work better then expensive stuff on old tranny, but remember your car is 1996 avalon 160K miles, might be time to rebuild soon. if it have internal problem, none fluid will help it. I think mobil 1 ATF is high quality fluid,

No hard shift from Mobil1 here ever.
I think you should double check your filter install.

well, the verdict is in. A drain and fill (about 40% total fluid) of Redline high temp atf and it shifts beautifuly now. Its still a little harsh at high throttle but nice at low.

No more Mobil 1 atf for me!! Unless I am building a racing Transmition ofcourse.

On a side note, it says it meets GL-4 for 75w-80 gear oil. If I go to cold country, I know what to use in my Manual Transmitions now.

I had some good experience with Valvoline MaxLife ATF but after I saw how thin it is (at temp) I went with the better performance of ATF+4 by using Mobil Super ATF+4. Would have used Petro-Canada but it is not available to the public. Red Line C+ would be my next suggestion.

I've never dealt with Redline High-Temp, I would consider it in the F150 if I constantly towed large loads as opposed to the occasional pulling I do now.

I will say RL D4 is the best feeling trans fluid I have ever used in the 4R70W though, D4 does the "best" in my Ford power steering systems too.

Did you call RL? Normally their customer service is the best in the business, I'm pretty surprised to hear a complaint about it honestly.

its 160k miles, it need rebuild soon. throw in some cheap atf, like maxlife and be done with it until need rebuild. you cant expect it to shift like new, any atf will not help it shift smooth if it got internal problem, but with 160k miles, what are you expect ?

You must have not spoken with Dave when you contacted Redline oil. He is the guy with whom you need to speak with. Redline has not only a great reputation from its excellent prodcts, but also there always friendly/helpful/close to full disclosure customer service. Call him on monday and im sure you will come away with what you need to know.

Late Update,

Sorry, I never revisited the post after my last.

I called Redline and Mobil, I kept getting the message machines. Redline did finaly call back, I don't know who is was though. He said the high temp was not recommended, by then it was in though. He was really friendly and helpful. I must have caught him at a busy time.

After I swapped to high temp it shifted nicer at lower throttle but hard at high throttle. The car made it to 214K when we traded it in for an Audi A4. At that point the fear of the trans failing me was scary (acutaly my Fionce's car) front CV's were SHOT, paint was SHOT, tires were bald, and a bunch of little problems. We got $800 for it.

Thankyou

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I expect my auto transmissions to last a lot longer than 160,000 miles.....

So do I.
If it needs rebuilding after 300,000 miles I would see it more normal.

Valvoline Maxlife is a good choice at a good price.Redline D4 is another good choice but way more expensive, if you can afford it, it is up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back