Mitsubishi CVT fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, A friend just bought a 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander SE with a CVT. On p.7-18 of the owner's manual it says the fluid for the CVT is Dia Queen CVTF-J1. Does anyone know if that is a common fluid? The fluid in the transfer case is listed as Dia Queen ATF-J3. Same question. Please note: my pal has no objection to buying the correct, dealer sourced fluids for his new, modern ride. We just want to know if cost saving alternatives exist. Kira

There are a couple universal CVT fluids out there. Not sure if your specific one is compatible with any of them. With that said, CVT's are funny animals and they require very specific fluids. IMO this is a case where you stick with the OEM fluid.

Last edited:
I believe Mitsu uses Jatco made CVTs like Nissan, Chrysler and Jeep does, but you'd need to verify.

Jatco has been in the CVT business quite a while now and there's TONS of them on the road.

I'd try a search for alternative CVT fluids for Jatcos. If it's a Jatco, you could most likely use Nissan, Chrysler/Jeep CVT fluid as well.

Joel

Last edited:
Lubegaurd makes a universal that covers the CVTF-J1. No personal experience with it or its price. Found it once looking for an alternative like your friend.

I have a 2009 Outlander. Not time for a fluid change yet, but I have one I sell to Mitsubishi and Nissan, as well as put it in hundreds of cars. Where CVT's get funny is in the Tordial models, such as the newer Muranos. They need a special friction fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back