Anything Good to Clean a Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any fuel additives help extend catalytic converter life or make them work better? My Beast passed smog, but the cat is fading; it was through the ringer with an oxygen sensor that went bad about a year ago.

If I could get it to pass smog two years from now I'd be ticked pink.

Your help is appreciated.

there are a number of things you can do...Make sure the car isn't burning too much oil, and is not leaking coolant into the exhaust, both these things will decrease the performance of the cat and make it fail sooner. Especially the silica in the coolant.

The better fuel cleaners with PEA will actually clean a bit of the residue off the honeycomb substrate...techron concentrate, and 3M Complete are the most notible products that you can pour right in the tank... Make sure to get the high concntration version products not the basic fuel injector cleaner only.

Also another good thing is to take the car out on the highway and drive at sustained speeds of about 65 or 70 for an hour or so perhaps more to help heat up the substrate and this too will burn off residue off as well.

Finally if your O2 upstream sensor is failing it will shorten the life of the cat as well.

too lean or too rich a mixture can heat up the substrate above what is specced and shorten the life as well.

My LS400 barely passed smog 7-8 years ago, after that smog check I used Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner once a year, it passed smog check the next time with flying color. The car still have the original catalytic converter and muffler.

Originally Posted By: 91344George

The better fuel cleaners with PEA will actually clean a bit of the residue off the honeycomb substrate...techron concentrate, and 3M Complete are the most notible products that you can pour right in the tank... Make sure to get the high concntration version products not the basic fuel injector cleaner only.

Says who and what literature? Frankly, I dont care much about the ceramic, I care about the active materials. I doubt there is SMSI interactions, so unless cleaning it exposes new catalytic surface, Im not seeing the benefit.

And what is the mechanism anyway?

just looking @ the thread title, I came to this thread actually thinking you were looking for ways to clean a Feline.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: earlyre
just looking @ the thread title, I came to this thread actually thinking you were looking for ways to clean a Feline.
33.gif

Swimming pools are for that. LOL!

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
BG44K or Redline SL1... The only two that would possibly help you.

On what basis? What is the mechanism to regenerate catalytic surface???

I can't find the source now but PEA detergent can and does clean carbon coated surfaces and does NOT dissipate before reaching the catalytic metal reactive surfaces. Now as for it cleaning silica contamination from coolant off or other contamination, I don't have the answer to that one.

Try this, create a rich condition by taking the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator. Put some 93 octane in the tank. Take a 1 hour drive up the highway. Re-attach the vacuum line. On the way home hold the transmission in a lower gear to create high rpm legally. You want to burn the carbon off the matrix in the cat without melting it.

Originally Posted By: 91344George
I can't find the source now but PEA detergent can and does clean carbon coated surfaces and does NOT dissipate before reaching the catalytic metal reactive surfaces. Now as for it cleaning silica contamination from coolant off or other contamination, I don't have the answer to that one.

Does it go through as an amine functional group or as PEA?

If it went though as PEA, then cars running it would likely have an HC emission issue, and the EPA would be all over the sale of the product.

How To Clean A Cat.

Add the required amount of shampoo to the toilet water, and have both lids lifted.

Obtain the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids.

Note: You may need to stand on the lid so that he cannot escape.

CAUTION: Do not get any part of your body
too close to the edge, as his paws will be
reaching out for any surface they can find.

Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a "power wash and rinse" which I have found to be quite effective.

Have someone to open the door to the outside and ensure that there are no people between the toilet and the outside door.

Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

The now-clean cat will rocket out of the toilet, and run outside where he will dry himself.

Sincerely,
the Dog

Borrowed from Cyber-Space... Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: Bayman
There is a product called CATACLEAN.

I have not used it, they do make some interesting claims.

I used 2 bottles of this stuff in consecutive tankfuls.
Did not do a thing except make my wallet ~$45.00 lighter.
frown.gif

Also; when people speak of catcon 'meltdown', does that mean that the actual ceramic brick melts (I did not think this was possible at less than ~7000*F??), or that the washcoat melts off and burns up?

Oh, it is not only possible, but I've done it. All you need is a sick coil. I got that stinkin' cat incandescent. You could almost look through it. After the muffler exploded , the matrix came out in hunks that were melted on the edges.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Oh, it is not only possible, but I've done it. All you need is a sick coil. I got that stinkin' cat incandescent. You could almost look through it. After the muffler exploded , the matrix came out in hunks that were melted on the edges.

Awesome!! I wound have loved to see that. Ive heard of cats getting really hot but have never seen it.

Originally Posted By: andyd

So it was a "pouring raw fuel directly into the catcon" type of pig rich running scenario??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back