Harbor Freight 2 stroke genny

Status
Not open for further replies.
My curiosity got the best of me today so I purchased one of these with the $89 coupon. 1st one leaked gas like a sieve from the gas cap, took it back and #2 seems okay. I've read that some folks replace the spark plug with an NGK but I don't recall the number. I suspect a BP7ES or BP8ES would be about right. Any thoughts?

Filled up with 50:1 Echo oil mix.

Last edited:
The correct NGK plug for that unit is NGK BP5ES (new NGK part number 7832).

BTW, check the gas tank for trash/shavings (from taping the threads for the fuel line). Also wouldn't hurt to install a fuel filter between the fuel cutoff and the carburetor. Use a decent quality oil like Stihl or Echo at the recommended 50:1 ratio. I've got many hours on mine and once you get a good one it's a fine unit for 800~900W of power. BTW, I broke mine in for 5 hours at 1/2 load (400W).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Not sure, I think the name starts with a "B".

Factory plug is "Bonon F5TC" which believe it or not the NGK site had in it's cross reference.

Originally Posted By: engineerscott
The correct NGK plug for that unit is NGK BP5ES (new NGK part number 7832).

BTW, check the gas tank for trash/shavings (from taping the threads for the fuel line). Also wouldn't hurt to install a fuel filter between the fuel cutoff and the carburetor. Use a decent quality oil like Stihl or Echo at the recommended 50:1 ratio. I've got many hours on mine and once you get a good one it's a fine unit for 800~900W of power. BTW, I broke mine in for 5 hours at 1/2 load (400W).

Excellent, plan to add a fuel filter and a shiny NGK plug. I really got the thing as a toy, although my main genny (Echo 5500E) has a ton of hours on it and could go at any time.

I like these generators as a backup or secondary generator. Because they are so small, they are fairly fuel efficient. Not as fuel efficient as a Honda inverter type generator running at light load, but pretty darn good if running at say 300W up to full load. In an extended outage you may find yourself in a situation where getting addition fuel is difficult and this little HF generator just sips gas, and will run a refrigerator and some lights (especially if you get some efficient CFL bulbs). 800 watts of power doesn't sound like much, but it can make life more pleasant in an outage.

BTW, check the gas tank for trash/shavings (from taping the threads for the fuel line). Also wouldn't hurt to install a fuel filter between the fuel cutoff and the carburetor.
I put a filter on both of mine. Today I had to "adjust" the petcock in the tank on the new one. It was screwed in too far and was allowing the gen to run out of gas with nearly 1/2 tank left.

There is a very fine screen on the part of the petcock thats inside the tank. No need for an external fuel filter.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

BTW, check the gas tank for trash/shavings (from taping the threads for the fuel line). Also wouldn't hurt to install a fuel filter between the fuel cutoff and the carburetor.
I put a filter on both of mine. Today I had to "adjust" the petcock in the tank on the new one. It was screwed in too far and was allowing the gen to run out of gas with nearly 1/2 tank left.

There is a very fine screen on the part of the petcock thats inside the tank. No need for an external fuel filter.

Interesting, my generator doesn't have a screen in the intake of the shutoff petcock. I've seen some variations on this product (for instance, some provide a ~12DC output, some don't) so I suppose that's just changes made over time or possibly different manufactures.

Speaking of the petcock, that's one item I'd like to find a replacement source for. Mine turns very stiffly and I'm afraid that I might eventually break off the pot metal handle. I have a Champion 3500/4000W generator that uses this same petcock, but it isn't nearly has stiff. If anyone knows of a source please let me know.

I don't know where, other than HF, to get an actual oem petcock or equivalent. However, Motion Pro makes all sorts of stuff for motorcycles, including very high quality fuel line (tygon). They sell an array of reliable petcocks. They have a number of them that are not listed on the web page, but only in the motorcycle dealer catalog.

My HF 800W is running great. I use Avgas 100LL and Mobil 1 Racing 2t at 32 to 1. I'm simply amazing that it runs so smoothly on 100LL. Much less 4-stroking than with the ethanol E-10 available around here. Which, I'd guess results in slightly lower fuel consumption under no-load conditions. Plus a steady diet of 100LL will likely result in longer engine life, as the lead is known to extend con-rod big end bearing life.

you mean they dont all leak from the gas cap?
15.gif

I got my dad one for his b-day and we painted with it for 5 hours and it used about 1/2 gallon of fuel (or less)
load was 0-300 watts electric sprayers.

One advantage of a 2 cycle is you do not have to change the oil. During a long outage during very cold days not having to chang the oil is a nice advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back