E-85 prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is up with the price of E-85? It is now only 5 cents cheaper then gas. A few years ago it was about $1.00 cheaper!!

E85, at the closest station that carries it, is $3.22... that station carries 87 for $3.29. They have been getting closer in price for the past few months, and I see 87 being cheaper than E85 within the next month. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw it cheaper on the way home.

Commodity price of corn is double what it was one year ago, triple what it was five years ago. Ethanol and beef are the two consumer products most heavily affected by increases in corn prices.

Yeah, the VEETC (blenders credit) is ending Jan. 1. Price of corn was up to $6.60/bushel, now down to $5.83/bushel. Price of fuel futures (Jan.'12) is: $2.17=ethanol, RBOB gasoline is $2.71(price at the refinery).

Look for E10 gasoline to go up 4-5 cents at the pump. E10 may become less common and E85 may become more. Speedway is adding like 4-5 E85 stations / month.

I haven't used E-85 in years. Back in '06 when a local gas station started carrying it I was like WOO-HOO. It was about 30 cents cheaper a gallon than 87. I had a ford ranger 3.0 at the time and used the E-85 for about a month til I wised up and realized I was getting about 25% less miles per tank. It was costing more to run it than unleaded. Stopped that real quick. I went from an average of 16 MPG to 12 with the E-85. Didn't make sense, it should cost 25% less than 87 if they want to sell it, but even then....

Been running E85 as a race gas for a year or so. Seen it 2 cents higher than 87 or even more if u count cheaper stations. Found E85 16 cents cheaper at another station. Still it comes in at only 7 cents cheaper. I get 8mpg but get 10 with 87 gas. The truck runs like a raped ape on E85. Had to go buy new wheels and tires to hold it down.

If the stuff were available in my area, I'd absolutely pay the same price for E85 as 87 octane without blinking. It is a far superior motor-fuel, in my experience.

Originally Posted By: DaryleWB
If the stuff were available in my area, I'd absolutely pay the same price for E85 as 87 octane without blinking. It is a far superior motor-fuel, in my experience.
Is this for either of the vehicles in your sig?

Yes. Both. I haven't converted the Subaru yet, but have the Van. When I was active duty I lived in an area where E85 was available, so the van lived on a regular diet of the stuff.

Gasoline: EN 95 = 6.36 USD per 1 US Gallon
Bioethanol: E85 = 5.00 USD per 1 US Gallon
Greetings from Hungary! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back