is it pinging or exhaust knocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCbi3FnuhTM

I've tried a lot of stuff: Cleen from GM in the intake, Seafoam spray, seafoam on the gas tank, higher octane even if its not recommended and the problem is still there since 177 000 kms and the car has 294 000 kms now. It does that rattling sound only when low to medium acceleration.

Its a 2005 automatic Cadillac CTS 3.6l non-DI.

All I hear is wind... pop the hood and take a video and put it under load with your hand on the tb, so we can hear it.

I hear only wind as well. In a case like this its gonna be all on you to find the area at least where the noise is coming from. Now you said its under acceleration and doesnt change with an accesory on or off. Im guessing drivetrain ie. torque converter. I do have some ?'s. is it in any gear?. have you noticed mpg loss?. if it sounds like its coming from mid section of the car or you cant quite pinpoint the source its likely coming from your trans. I bet the torque converter is the problem.

Originally Posted By: abycat
I bet the torque converter is the problem.

Someone commented on the Youtube video:
"Last weekend I had enough . . . and took it into the muffler shop. It was a loose heat shield. They welded it up. Took 15 seconds. Charged me $10 bucks and the rattling is 100% gone!! Best 10 bucks I ever spent. Go to your local muffler shop, they should be able to take care of it for you."

Last edited:
At 0:13 in the video you can hear the rattling sound.

The sound is only present when outside temp is higher than 15 degres outside.

The engine must be at normal temp. Below that, nothing.

It happens only on low to medium load, at any gear. Nothing in park or in neutral. It looks like its coming from the front of the car.

No oil consumption, the transmission shifts quite good.

During the winter, there's no rattle at all.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
Originally Posted By: abycat
I bet the torque converter is the problem.

Someone commented on the Youtube video:
"Last weekend I had enough . . . and took it into the muffler shop. It was a loose heat shield. They welded it up. Took 15 seconds. Charged me $10 bucks and the rattling is 100% gone!! Best 10 bucks I ever spent. Go to your local muffler shop, they should be able to take care of it for you."

Thanks man! I didn't know someone answered the video! I'll go to my local muffler shop this week to try to find out the cause of the noise.

check and clean the egr system....usually the cause of pinging where people think they need higher octane.

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
check and clean the egr system....usually the cause of pinging where people think they need higher octane.

no egr in the car unfortunately!

The knocking in your video sounds similar to the exhaust leak on my 460 F250. I used to worry that my truck was pining also, but after advancing the timing, my truck started to ping and it's unmistakable compared to any other knocking sound, so I would rule out pining. If it's an exhaust leak, a loose shield somewhere, or something else, I don't know, but I'd vote against a pinging problem.

Originally Posted By: DIYiT
The knocking in your video sounds similar to the exhaust leak on my 460 F250. I used to worry that my truck was pining also, but after advancing the timing, my truck started to ping and it's unmistakable compared to any other knocking sound, so I would rule out pining. If it's an exhaust leak, a loose shield somewhere, or something else, I don't know, but I'd vote against a pinging problem.

Is there a way to diagnose exhaust leak without disassembling everything?

Have you checked the TSB's issued by Cad regarding your car and engine. That is the first place to look and armed with a specific TSB number, go to the dealer and ask him to take a look at this TSB. Be sure they write it up and note the TSB and the results. Keep a portfolio of all the work done by the dealer.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Originally Posted By: Spykem4e
oh and no loss mpg! I'm still getting 35 mpg on highway!

Joke?

No why? I've got an average of 23-25 mpg city/highway driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back