V Twin 20w-50 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I sort of wonder why Harley does not put an oil cooler on the twin cam motors to help hold down the oil temps.

When was the last time you looked at a Harley?

Last newer Dyna I looked at didnt have one infront of the motor. Guess you could call a separate oil tank as some sort of primitive oil cooler. But my Speedmaster has a 4 by 6 inch oil radiator infront of the motor. I know my fathers FXDL doesnt have one at all on it, but thats a later EVO motor. And looking at the HD website I sure as heck dont see any sort of oil cooler on the new Dynas either. The last HD I looked at was a V Rod I was considering buying.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Quote:
I sort of wonder why Harley does not put an oil cooler on the twin cam motors to help hold down the oil temps.

When was the last time you looked at a Harley?

When was the last time YOU looked at a Harley? They don't put coolers on Twin Cams stock. However, a lot of people add them later on.

I am not completely certain if it's a factory stock addition however when I was at our Harley dealership yesterday the bigger touring models all had coolers on them. The dyna switchback didn't though. The road king did for sure,all the dressers did. I think Harley knows they are necessary however they like the 300 dollar bill it brings in when you buy one. I bought the jagg adapter off eBay and I am going to use a small radiator for my dyna

All the factory 103" come with oil coolers (and automatic compression releases). Stock 96" bikes do not come with oil coolers from the factory ....

GMBOY..I have a Harley and it came with a oil cooler from the factory.
As Troop said...All the newer touring models have oil coolers on them. With the requirement/addition of Catalytic Converters on the bikes now they run hotter. Probably why Harley decided to put oil coolers on the bikes from the factory with the 103 engines.

I'm running 20W-50 Redline in my Harley RKC 103 2011 and in the lower temps of the mid-morning, the bike starts up and runs just fine.

I did a Stage One with Ceramic Coated Header Pipes, K&N air intake, Power Vision tuner and Jackpot 4.5 inch pro mufflers and that was the ANSWER to the excessive heating of the Cat-stuffed original head pipes and big-twin motor.

The 20W-50 appears to be just fine in the high heat of the summer and the much cooler/colder temps of this time of year.

Had the bike out just a little while ago, dry roads, mid-40's, Colorado sunshine and the RKC ran like a top.

Quote:
After reading the Motor Oil University....
The guy who wrote that, Dr. Ali E Haas, is a cosmetic plastic surgeon. He is not a mechanical engineer or tribologist. Part of what he writes is good info and part is his own invention. Stick with what your owner's manual recommends and what has years of proof of good engine survival.

I've got a Harley V-Rod with the water cooled Revolution engine and the manual still calls for 20-50 in temps above 40 degrees F.

Since the V Rod is a shared sump it would need a good 20w50 as I would think the shared sump system would shear the oil down to a 40 weight like it tends to do in most shared sump bikes.

I will say they are certainly a lot more fun to ride than my dads FXDL. It is my next to buy bike as soon as the newer models without the tiny gas tank and solid wheels come down a bit more on price.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
GMBOY..I have a Harley and it came with a oil cooler from the factory.
As Troop said...All the newer touring models have oil coolers on them. With the requirement/addition of Catalytic Converters on the bikes now they run hotter. Probably why Harley decided to put oil coolers on the bikes from the factory with the 103 engines.

Lol - Guess I'm the one who has to go to the HD dealer and look. Learned something new, but I wish they all came with coolers. All my HD's (even my current Softail) came w/o coolers but really do need them.

I recently had service/adjustments done to my 2008 Buell Blast at a local H-D/Buell servicing dealer and I looked over several new/used Sportsters that had the smaller 883cc engines and they have oil coolers on the front of the frame down tube; they had a used 2005 I was looking at and it had one also...so for at least 5-6 years H-D has been using oil coolers

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Harley never sold a new Sporty with a oil cooler on it. It was added afterwards.,,

Agreed. Wife's '05 883 (bought new) Does not have one.

Just look at the galleries on the HD website to see what doesnt come with a cooler. Sporties and non touring bikes dont have em. I never looked close at the touring models cause I just never liked touring bikes or as my 73 year old dad calls em "Geezer Gliders".

I've run Amsoil 10W-40 and 20W-50, Rotella 15W-40, and I'm now running conventional Valvoline 20W-50 and I like the Valvoline the best so far.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I've run Amsoil 10W-40 and 20W-50, Rotella 15W-40, and I'm now running conventional Valvoline 20W-50 and I like the Valvoline the best so far.

I've had thoughts of trying the Rotella after I run out of Amsoil, but been seeing more Valvoline users that seem happy - so maybe Valvoline after I use up the Amsoil, which I have about 2 years of stock left.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Originally Posted By: grampi

I've had thoughts of trying the Rotella after I run out of Amsoil, but been seeing more Valvoline users that seem happy - so maybe Valvoline after I use up the Amsoil, which I have about 2 years of stock left.

I have heard nothing but good things about the VR-1 oil. I can't for the life of me find it in any store here. And from what I have read it's very cost effective. I am anal about oil in my Harley and it gets changed at 5000 kms whether it needs it or not so running a conventional oil,especially a proven quality one really wouldn't bother me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back