OCI and oil for new (to me) driving style

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I follow through with 4k miles, it'll be around 12/10 or so. Just a hair over 2 months. I hope to be able to get at least 3 months per change, so I may do an extra week.

Truthfully, with regular top-off, you can go further than 4k, so going a full 3 months, like you want, isn't a big deal.

'Back in the day' I think Ford called for OC's every 6k with 10W-30 or 10W-40.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Truthfully, with regular top-off, you can go further than 4k, so going a full 3 months, like you want, isn't a big deal.

'Back in the day' I think Ford called for OC's every 6k with 10W-30 or 10W-40.

Ironically, the owners manual for this car recommends oil change at 7500 miles and filter every other change using SE grade oils. Also says 10w-30 good for up to 90 deg F with 10w-40 for above that. 5w-30 not recommended for extended driving at freeway speeds or for use above 32 deg F.
My target is 5k to 3 months while minimizing consumption. Current fill would take at least another qt to reach 5k, making it 3 qts added.
Now @ 46.67k or 3.17k on oil+filter

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to push it with a DD you rely on, BUT, with the amount of top-off you add, 7500-mile all-highway OCI's aren't out of the question here.

If you'd be comfortable with it, you could push to 4-month 6-7k OCI's....

I think you're right.
All of that make-up oil is renewing the add pack as you go.
Ford did back off on its oil change interval recs later on.
The OM of our '97 Aerostar recommended 5K changes on what was then SJ oil, IIRC.
Anyway, SS1970, you're doing great with that old Granada.
I wish you continued good luck.

@46.75k, 3.25k on oil
If I change next weekend, I'll be around 4.2k this oci. Next will be MS5k for 5k and maybe I'll keep inching it higher depending on consumption. NOACK is much higher on MS5k than AXT I'm currently on. I won't add any of my old formula STP that I use for ZDDP just to see how this newer formula runs. There should be enough built up on cam to let it ride awhile. I'd be a bit leery of beyond 5-6k as most filters cop out around there. I've got one more OCOD from '88 to use and 4 STP ecores to use up.
I'll be switching to ST as my add-oil when the AXT is gone as it's 50% cheaper to just buy large jugs of that an refill my qt bottles. Must use qts as pouring a large jug is impossible on this engine without removing the hood.
frown.gif

Did you add some of this old STP to the current fill of oil?

It will be interesting to see if the 10W-30 M5K, with no additives, will be consumed faster due to lower viscosity.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Did you add some of this old STP to the current fill of oil?

It will be interesting to see if the 10W-30 M5K, with no additives, will be consumed faster due to lower viscosity.

@46.83k
Nope. I figured there was still a qt or so containing some still in the engine. I usually add about a half bottle (7 oz) every other change. I'd bought 2 cases of it on closeout for $1 a bottle. It was the cheapest way to add some. This inline 6 engine shouldn't really need overkill on zddp often, probably only between 800-1000 ppm should be fine. My big blocks I try to keep 1000-1200ppm.
The only different item in this oci is about 4 oz of XHD 30w that was leftover from an oci on the forklift at work. Waste not, want not.
wink.gif

I'm somewhat curious about this new LTi formula and how it'll perform as a zddp replacement. The only thing that'll skew the results is the fact that my add-oil will be something different, unless I buy some more.

Last edited:
Agree with all you've said....I'm curious about this STP you have - as long as I can remember, STP has been in a blue can/bottle...you said you're 'old' STP is in a yellow bottle/can?

Can you post a pic?

Nope. It's in a blue bottle with a large yellow box on the label. These were the last ones before they changed the formula, making it almost useless. I've only used the stuff as engine assembly/ break-in lube and for a zddp additive. Zddp plus is better, but much more expensive.
One thing I've noted about using STP as a zddp additive is that it builds up in the engine, resulting in rediculously high numbers if used every oci. Check out the UOA on a 1978 LTD that I posted awhile back. That car had a whole bottle of STP for each of the last 6 oci's that I know of. Too much of the stuff can't be good either.

Funny, that used to touted as one of the benefits of STP - it 'stuck' to engine parts, and cushioned them from wear!

I had another look at the LTD UOA, and yeah, ZN/P built up BIG time! Althought, I'm not sure in an old engine that this really harms anything - I'd rahter err on having more additive than too little in a big, iron V-8 from this era.

I'll be running some more of that additive in the warmer months. Incidentally, I convinced the owner of that LTD to run one OCI of just 10w-30 with no additives to see if the numbers straighten out. I've read that too much zddp can cause wear and iron was rather high in that car as well. Besides, I can learn from it and apply the knowledge I gain to my other cars that get similar usage.

In an engine driven a lot (your Granada), the STP won't necessarily help a lot, not a lot of sitting. however, for the LTD, that I gather sits a lot and does short trips, I'd be inclined to keep using it, just maybe not ever OC. I'd want the engine 'coated' to prevent corrossion.

At that time, the LTD was driven about 15 miles city, then parked 3 days and driven back. So it was really only used 2-3 times per week. Nowadays, it gets driven 3-4 miles city then sits 4 hours before return trip about 5 times a week. I may have to revise the regimen for that one to possibly more than 1 oil change per year.
Now @ 47.01k, 3.5k on oil.
I'll probably change mine out next weekend. My battlecruiser 70 Chrysler gets driven 4-10 miles per week, one day a week typically. Though I do use it for other things, just not regularly. I change that one every November.

@47.1k, car has now driven over 10k this year since annual safety inspection in March. I didn't think it had it in it to not be showing any serious issues by this point.
smile.gif

I've done some math on this based on 6k miles using one oil change versus 2 at 3k each at current consumption rates.
(5qts change + filter + 1 qt added to go 3k)2= 12qts +2 filters
5qts change + filter + 4qts added to reach 6k= 9qts + 1 filter

That filter seems to have head up great! Really glad to hear your Granada is working out for you, without big issues!

The Fram is the most recent filter and the Performax is the one used during the OCI with the high lead numbers. My last Fram is on the car now and will be through the winter. I changed oil a bit early since it was low and didn't want to add a qt for just one week. Also didn't want to run a qt low for 500 miles either.
I'm not going to make a habit of cutting filters since it's a pain. Curiosity got the better of me and it was a nice day.
I'll be running this MS5k through the winter and just adding to it. Maybe 6k tops.

I don't know if you read it, but the latest edition of the magazine "Collectible Automobile" has a full write-up on the 1975-1980 Ford Granada. I'll be picking it up soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back