Do oil filters have a Micron rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also own a boat and the recommended Micron rating should be a '10'. I'm wondering if conventional auto oil filters have anything similar, maybe I can sub an auto filter(cheaper)for my boat(GM block). The price for a 'marine' oil filter is about $10+. Is there a site that shows the difference. Thanks folks.

Originally Posted By: greaseball
I also own a boat and the recommended Micron rating should be a '10'.

That kind of rating is pretty nebulous, as it doesn't have a beta ratio or efficiency number associated with it.

Most filters are rated xx% efficient at yy microns. Example would be 99.9% at 20 microns.

If I had to guess, I'd say that "10 micron" rating was at 50% efficiency (beta = 2, nominal rating).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I also own a boat and the recommended Micron rating should be a '10'.

That kind of rating is pretty nebulous, as it doesn't have a beta ratio or efficiency number associated with it.

Most filters are rated xx% efficient at yy microns. Example would be 99.9% at 20 microns.

If I had to guess, I'd say that "10 micron" rating was at 50% efficiency (beta = 2, nominal rating).

I think ZeeOSix is right, 10 micron nominal.

There are some SAE test sandards that filter manufacturers use in their marketing. But there are several tests and of course they will market the one their filter does the best on. Some of the tests are single pass and some multipass. And they all seem to compare against the "conventional filter". Maybe that is TPOC filter that Jiffy Lube uses. Or the orange can Fram. I think even a ST filter is better than the "conventional filter".

I also own a boat and the recommended Micron rating should be a '10'. I'm wondering if conventional auto oil filters have anything similar, maybe I can sub an auto filter(cheaper)for my boat(GM block). The price for a 'marine' oil filter is about $10+. Is there a site that shows the difference. Thanks folks.

Are you sure thats for engine oil not fuel? I have never seen an engine oil filter recommendation that had a micron spec. But that certainly could be.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
There isn't an oil filter I know of that has a micron rating of 10 at 98.7%

I believe the AC Delco Ultraguard meets this level of filtration. It is only available in 2 or 3 siZes though, for Corvette owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back