Spitting into valve stems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone spit into their tire valve stem after airing up or checking tire PSI?

My dad used to do this for some reason. I was airing up my tires when that thought popped into my head.

Yep, my dad taught me that when I was a kid. Usually end up spitting too much, gets kinda gross. But it works!

The last set of tires I had installed awhile back, the guy did this only he had a jaw full of Redman! Now every time I check the pressure I want to throw up.

No never done this just because, maybe a couple times if I suspected air loss. Why is this done after airing up again?

Originally Posted By: beast3300
No never done this just because, maybe a couple times if I suspected air loss. Why is this done after airing up again?

The act of adding air may cause a valve to fail, or may allow a piece of debris to find its way to the valve seat and not allow it to seal completely.

And you don't spit into the valve stem... you get a little spit on your finger and place it on the stem to check for bubbles. Be sure to "flick" the stem before installing the cap to remove excess spit so that it doesn't freeze and cause a leak.

wirelessF probably can omit that procedure.....

I spit on my tire gauge to soften the rubber so it leaks less when I take a sample.

Old as the hills.
But a good quick check for leakers at this area.

I squirt a bit of WD40 in them before putting the cap on. Makes me feel good so things don't dry out.

The purpose of the schrader valve in the valve stems is prevent air loss after inflation. The valve cap is intended as the ultimate air stop.

Originally Posted By: Audioshot
The purpose of the schrader valve in the valve stems is prevent air loss after inflation. The valve cap is intended as the ultimate air stop.

lol.gif

I do check the valve stem first with a bit of spit when I have a slow leak, but the only time I've actually had a valve leak it was audible so I didn't need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back