Castrol Syntec (German) 0W30 SL VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
e69400-001.jpg

Zinc and Phos is up. So is this a B/S inaccuracy, has it actually gone up or does it get depleted with this oil with use?

Looking at this again.. where's the Moly and Boron? All the OEM's oils from Honda and Toyota to BMW (which uses Castrol), MB, Porsche, Nissan, etc are big on Mo or a combination of it and B. It also uses a more balanced Ca/Mg compared to what we've come to accept as more optimal for wear with how retail and OEM oils (including M1 0W-40 and 5W-50) diverged at SN.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Looking at this again.. where's the Moly and Boron? All the OEM's oils from Honda and Toyota to BMW (which uses Castrol), MB, Porsche, Nissan, etc are big on Mo or a combination of it and B. It also uses a more balanced Ca/Mg compared to what we've come to accept as more optimal for wear with how retail and OEM oils (including M1 0W-40 and 5W-50) diverged at SN.

Old formulations, look at Syntec 5w40.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2365767#Post2365767

Originally Posted By: BobFout

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2365767#Post2365767

Is that good or bad? Why do OEM's that have used Castrol forever go for a different additive package instead? Did Castrol go the cost-cutting route that long ago? Green GC had an additive package that was more similar to the ones I referenced.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

Is that good or bad? Why do OEM's that have used Castrol forever go for a different additive package instead? Did Castrol go the cost-cutting route that long ago? Green GC had an additive package that was more similar to the ones I referenced.

Considering how popular Syntec 5w40 was/is with appropriate spec'd Euro engines over the years, it's a fine oil. Plenty of multi-hundred-thousand mile engines that are like-new.

My understand is OEMs don't generally spec what additives to use except for upper limits on SAPS. It's up to the blender/oil manufacturer to decide what additives and base stocks to use so the oil meets the OEM performance criteria.

I don't think it was cost cutting really, it's how it was in the late 90s with oil?

The kin. visc. at 100C seems low. Did it not used to be something like 12.3? Ca is also way down from a UOA I have from a year or so ago.

Why is there so much Magnesium, and why is the 100*C cST spec 10.2 to 13.0? Is it different than a 5w-30 or 10w-20?

except for the silicone, it looks like the Germans keep the trace wear elements out of their oil.

Originally Posted By: cchase
The kin. visc. at 100C seems low. Did it not used to be something like 12.3?

Close enough to be within the margin of error, I think. You'll always have some batch-to-batch, bottle-to-bottle variations.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

Why is there so much Magnesium,

Gold GC has always had about this much magnesium. Magnesium is a typical detergent/dispersant additive.

Looking at this again.. where's the Moly and Boron?

Isn't there more than one way to skin the cat? Moly and boron are anti-wear additives. So are phosphorus and zinc which this GC has plenty of.

There are a number of oils out there without moly or boron that seem to do well on UOAs, if that can be any indicator...

I agree, and together with it's low 166 VI this is very much yesterday's oil.
There are a number of a number of more interesting formulations available now. If you just want a relatively inexpensive HTHSV 3.5cP oil try G-Oil and with it's higher VI will be lighter than GC on start-up.

BobFout, I for one appreciate all the VOA's you post.
Just to let you know, a spec' I miss is KV40 and Blackstone will now include for 10 bucks or less I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back