Effects of Renewable Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Canada for 2011 most major fuel suppliers regulated a 5% BioDiesel blend from April until October. The purpose of the summer use of bio-diesel is to meet the annual 2% volume requirement passed late last year.

I am working on a technical paper on the general effects of bio-diesel and identifying some of the challenges and benefits that are related to the use of biofuels.

It is already well documented that biodiesel blends have improved lubricity over ULSD, lower toxicity and higher flashpoints resulting in a reduction in carbon monoxide, aromatics and sulfur oxides in emmissions. It also is challenged by poor low temp operability and storage issues, decreased economy and fuel oxidization related issues (varnish, carbon deposits etc).

I am looking for some feedback from various diesel users (not necessarily canadian) on what effects if any you saw in your vehicles/equipment this year as a result of biodiesel blends. (it could be anything from increased regeneration of DPF, fuel filter issues, fuel degradation issues or improvements of any kind that are noticeable)

so basically:
-have you seen any significant changes in your equipment performance?
-have you noticed maintenance changes in relationship to fuel and emissions equipment?
-what is your opinion on the viability of continuing the use of biodiesel blends and the effects it has - positive or negative?

I won't specifically be using your comments for paper content, but I thought it would be a good conversation we could start and then see where it goes from there...

It's an internal paper as a part of an ongoing study we are working on about fuel. we are also looking at various fuel additive components - looking for ways for fuel reformulations that can improve the effectiveness of biodiesel blends. I can't get into any more specifics than that; but the entire study will likely get published when the study is completed late next year.

I was interested in getting some feedback purely for personal reasons as we have seen a large variety of technical effects but they may not be appreciable in the general industry... so I thought I would ask and see if it produces discussion and maybe some things we haven't yet looked at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back