Discount Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been pricing out tires for my GF's car. They matched the lowest quote including the mail in rebate for the other store. I decided to use them and made an appointment.

At the appointment another employee pulled up the info and noticed that I had been quoted for the incorrect tire. 15'in instead of the needed 16'in. This was their error (manager quoted me & set up appointment), and It didn't occur to me either. 40k tire, yada yada. I didn't want to pay a cent more since it wasn't my mistake but we settled on a $20 dollar difference otd.

I was looking over the receipt last night and noticed that the newly installed tires were only a 30k tire. I stopped in the store this morning and was careful how I worded everything to the manager. He said that this given brand was 40k, I responded that was incorrect etc. He looked it up and did agree that he made an error. he said that the tires used to be 40k and he hopes that he didn't make any other mistakes such as this.

They will be replacing these tires with a different brand of 40k tires and the replacements received better reviews and won't cost me a cent more.

In all I'm very satisfied with discount tire regardless of this incident.

Nice work on their part - glad to see your experience has been good. It's always a testament to a company to see how they work when something goes badly. Any company can be nice and all smiles when things go well.

Which DT location are you dealing with? I just had the tires on my wife's car rotated & balanced at the Oak Lawn location (95th, just west of Ridgeland). The guys working the counters were very friendly and nice, even as a walk-in an hour before they were supposed to close and a waiting area full of people. One of the weights slung off the rim so we'll see how they are while rebalancing again in a week.

FWIW, I bought these tires through DTD last year when we (briefly) lived in Baltimore. They were installed by one of their 'certified installation shops' - a Mr. Tire location - and DT will still rotate & balance them for free even if they were not purchased at a brick & mortar location.

That's a great piece of customer service there.

ANY company can mess things up, sometimes it just happens. But you really see what they are by how they fix things.

But DT will give credit you based on if the doesn't make it to it's stated milage. So that 10k could mean the difference between getting some money back or not. DT is the bomb. I go to the one in NW suburbs and have used the in both Colorado and NM. Never an issue and amazing customer service. Makes you wonder why other industries with higher margins can't figure it how to ensure good service.

I like Discount Tire. Good service. They use torque wrenches. They have a big window between the garage and the waiting room so you can watch them work. I go to the one on 55th and LaGrange Road in Countryside. They've done free repairs on tires that I didn't even buy from them.

They do have the worst television commercial. The one with the grandma throwing the tire through the plate glass window must be 50 years old.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dja4260
Lombard, IL location.

I'm pleased with how they owned up the the error. I was imagining they would just deny the 40k request and play dumb.

I've used that Lombard DT, as well as Westmont. They are very good about procedure, and have room for friendly pricing.

Just make sure they properly balance your tires. The Discount Tire that I have used in the past likes to add excess weights instead of rotating the tire on the rim and then rebalancing. They tried that "load the weights" move on me twice now. They actually stacked two layers of stick on weights on one of my Jetta's rims and they put a whole bunch of hammer-on weights on one of my Jeep's rims. Before even leaving their lot, I had the Manager out looking at it and both times they pulled my vehicle back onto the rack and rotated the tire on the rim and rebalanced, thus negating the use of all that excess balancing weight. Granted the average person won't catch this, but being a car guy I know what to look for. Just a FYI as there are lazy tire techs out there that will do the job half assed.

I forgot to mention the last time I got tires for the Jetta at Discount Tire, they put 3 of the right sized tires on and 1 that was a size bigger. They also managed to scratch/gouge one of the rims when the tech dropped the wheel on its face. I saw him do it so there wasn't much he could say. Again, I caught all of this before I left the lot. Best advice I can give you is to inspect their work before you leave the lot and if you aren't happy, get the Manager involved. I no longer use this Discount Tire. lol

discount tires is too generous....too generous
my cousin brought a new set of wheels/tires for them to mount and they happened to scratch one and they replaced the entire wheel and allowed him to keep the old one

the scratch was 1/3 inch long..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pavelow
I forgot to mention the last time I got tires for the Jetta at Discount Tire, they put 3 of the right sized tires on and 1 that was a size bigger. They also managed to scratch/gouge one of the rims when the tech dropped the wheel on its face. I saw him do it so there wasn't much he could say. Again, I caught all of this before I left the lot. Best advice I can give you is to inspect their work before you leave the lot and if you aren't happy, get the Manager involved. I no longer use this Discount Tire. lol

That's pretty consistant with my last experience at Dishonest Tire.

Originally Posted By: pavelow

LOL... reminds me of a set I bought from them. The 'new guy', seemed about 14 years old - put an impact wrench on the faux lug nuts on my truck's hubcaps and proceeded to try and remove them. Lost one. They offered to buy me a new hubcap. I just left feeling entertained.

I've had nothing but good experiences with DT. The same guys have been working at my local store for years. I've never paid for a rotation even on tires that I haven't bought from there. I did have one questionable tire issue and had them look at it. They could have easily convinced me I needed a new tire, but instead they said it was cosmetic only and the tire was fine. They've also never tried to upsale me, which I appreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back