Engine Flush/Crankcase cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
I would NOT flush that engine.

I'd run Rotella T6 5W-40 of Delvac 1 5W-40 in it at short change intervals to do some slow cleaning.

Like others have said, for a 50+ year old engine, it is in pretty darn good shape - don't jinx it!

I agree on this one. Use T6 of Delvac 1, but if the OP wanted to add Kreen or MMO for the last 1,000 miles on a 2nd or 3rd OCI once on a good HDEO I don't think those will be an issue.

While I think ARX is good and very safe, it would take you forever to do the clean and rinse cycle. I would use a HD synthetic oil and it will be a little cleaner each time you change the oil. You don't have much gooey sludge so it will take awhile. I would forget MMO, let the oil do its cleaning thing.

Auto-Rx is safe, but as posted above, it will take a lot of hours of operation to get the engine clean. Anything else will also take a while to clean it. You could even fill the engine completely with kerosene, let it soak as long as possible, drain completely including being sure the cylinders don't have kero above the pistons, fill with cheap oil, run briefly, drain, fill with good oil and run until it's dirty, drain, refill, etc. Or, just use any modern oil and let it clean very slowly. Marvel Mystery Oil is likely harmless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back