Cooper Zeon RS-A Initial Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We usually don't get too much bad winter weather in KY(and if we do I have winter tires on the Wrangler) so I run UHP all-seasons on my Mazdaspeed 3 from Novenber to March. My last two sets were Pirelli PZero Nero All-Seasons. They performed well and both sets lasted for over 35,000 miles.

This year I decided to try the Cooper Zeon RS-A. I found them at a local tire store for only $164 each(mounting and balancing included). The shop even checked the alignment for free(and found everything was within spec).

I let them break in over 500 miles and then decided to push them just a tiny bit- I took a couple of on-ramps at double the posted advisory speed with no drama and not even a hint of tire squeal(not a particularly strenuous test I'll admit). Steering response is at least as good as the PZeros and they are acceptably quiet as well.

Wet traction is also very good, as is their resistance to hydroplaning; I drove through a heavy rainstorm at 65-70 mph with no drama at all(although I wasn't expecting any).

Now to see how they hold up over the long term.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
.............This year I decided to try the Cooper Zeon RS-A. I found them at a local tire store for only $164 each(mounting and balancing included).........

That sounds like a Michelin price! What size?

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

That sounds like a Michelin price! What size?

215/45-18 93W XL Equivalent tires from Bridgestone, Continental, and Pirelli go for $129 to $194 at Tire Rack.

The size explains the price, I see. But even so, a bit high IMO for a mid-tier tire like a Cooper. The new Kumho Ecsta 4X (another UHPAS mid-tier tire) goes for $125 in that size. Then again, every tire manufacturer has raised their prices a dozen times over the last 3 years.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
The size explains the price, I see. But even so, a bit high IMO for a mid-tier tire like a Cooper. The new Kumho Ecsta 4X (another UHPAS mid-tier tire) goes for $125 in that size. Then again, every tire manufacturer has raised their prices a dozen times over the last 3 years.

cooper isn't really a mid level tire company anymore, they have the number 1 rate a/t on consumer reports, the cs4 is considered one of the top tires in it's class, the stt mud tire is one of the best designed/built mud tires on the market they have also been named the best replacement tire company many times over.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey

cooper isn't really a mid level tire company anymore, they have the number 1 rate a/t on consumer reports, the cs4 is considered one of the top tires in it's class, the stt mud tire is one of the best designed/built mud tires on the market they have also been named the best replacement tire company many times over.

Autoweek, Road & Track, and Winding Road also gave the RS-A glowing reviews. And note that the $164/tire price included mounting, balancing, and an alignment check. I have to add $37/tire to Tire Rack prices to cover shipping and installation now that my preferred installer retired six months ago...

I considered these for my Kizashi when shopping for tires. My concern was their winter traction as I decided that I needed a tire with good snow ratings (car is AWD) and I couldn't find any snow traction information on the Coopers. I finally got the Continental Extreme Contact DWS (highly rated and praised for their snow abilities) and have been happy so far. The tires are pretty quiet and smooth riding for a performance tire (if not quite as "sharp" as the Dunlop 7000's I removed...tread was down considerably at 12,000 miles and they were getting noisy...good handlers though). I'd like to know how these are in the snow...might consider them next time.

I had my eye on those last month. I went with the Kumho 4X. The Kumho's were $25.00 cheaper per tire and I will be getting 2 $50.00 rebate cards in the mail also.

Three weeks in and I'm still very happy with the RS3-As. They have exceptional wet and dry grip for an all-season tires. I'll have to wait and see how they do in the wintry stuff.

I've got Yokohama Envigor's on my Subie right now, the performance has been good, but they are wearing down FAST. I'm probably going to try the cooper's next go around.

Keep us posted on these. I've been having my eye on them as well. There's very few decent A/S tires that come in my size.

After almost 9,000 miles I'm still very happy with the RS3-As on my Mazdaspeed 3. In fact, I'm going to put the same tires on my wife's X3.

I'll be ordering these tires this week from DiscoutTireDirect. Comes out to around $124 each for 235/17/R17 for my 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi. Present tires are General Altimax HP's which I got 50k out of. If I get 50k of decent performance, I'll be happy.

The runner up is the Falken Azenis PT-722, their UHP Touring tire. I still may get an itch to order these instead, but right now it's looking I'm going with the Zeons.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
So far; I'm rotating them every 5,000 miles.

How do you rotate them? Forward X or just X?

I think you have to rotate them front to back / back to front. They're asymmetrical so you can't move a tire from one side to the other without remounting them.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
I think you have to rotate them front to back / back to front. They're asymmetrical so you can't move a tire from one side to the other without remounting them.

You're thinking of directional tires.

The Zeon RS3-A is a non-directional asymmetric so it can be used in all four corners assuming your have the same size front to rear.

This is one of the benefits of the pattern that will keep them from developing heal-toe wear, which causes tire noise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8

How do you rotate them? Forward X or just X?

Forward X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back