Brake Fluid Flush Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Prius will reach 30k within the next several months and as y'all know, that is the traditional milestone for complete fluid replacements.

Lexus requires a brake fluid change every 3 years or 30k, whichever comes first, on their CT200h. There is no reason to believe the Prius is any different since the two are mechanically identical. It is unclear why Lexus requires brake fluid changes for the CT200h (and all of their hybrids), but Toyota does not. I personally suspect that it is because Lexus owners are theoretically more willing (and can afford to) to take better care of their vehicles than us.
wink.gif

Since this service is not mandatory, I am on the fence on whether or not I should have this done. Obviously there is some merit to the fluid change recommendation, which is why I am bringing it up. My question is whether brake fluid degrades more by time or miles used. Evidently Lexus believes both, or else they would have suggested a time-based recommendation. However, most other automakers have a time-based recommendation: Honda, VAG, BMW, MB, etc.

My brake fluid does not look too bad after 16k, but it definitely does not look new anymore. I guess the only way to verify its condition is to use the test strips, but I have no idea where I can get some. On others cars, I usually flushed the brake fluid every three years or 30-45k but at my current rate of mileage accumulation, I would be at around 110k by the three year mark. Or around 70k by the two year mark. I would never leave brake fluid in for that many miles, hence the dilemma.

My trusted independent, Luscious Garage, charges around $130 for the brake fluid flush ($120 for 1 hr labor + fluid). The techstream (factory scan tool) is necessary for this service and I have no plans to try the alternate method listed in the manual after the disaster last week. So, the price is not too outrageous but I would not mind saving $130 if it is not needed.

What do you guys think? I would really kick myself if I had to pay $2000 for a new brake actuator at 75k if it could have been prevented by doing more preventive maintenance.

If you bought that beemer you could be worrying about it, instead!

It's not the miles driven, it's the abuse (heat), changes in atmospheric conditions making the reservoir cap breathe moisture, etc.

With the regenerative braking, if you drive sanely, the fluid won't see much heat. I would go a couple-three years on it.

I think "dilemma" is a very strong word. Indecision is perhaps a better choice. Just have it changed and be done with it.

youre putting miles on that thing so fast that I do not believe that mileage will be the determinant. Rather, heat and cool cycles, where humidity can creep in and foul the fluid.

I think youre OK going for time (3 yrs), but I do also think that it is sound to do it at that point and not bypass just because the Toyota OM doesnt say to do it (likely to make some kind of comparison on cost of ownership for sales reasons).

While I get the desire to flush through the ABS solenoids, etc., IMO if a pedal method or motive pressure method gets fluid to all four calipers, I'd say do that and save the $$$.

30K for brake fluid is crazy, must be something to do with the hybrid technology, I certainly wouldn't touch my brake fluid after only 30K if I were paying.

Ideally all cars should have their brake fluid drained and refilled every 2 ~ 3 years . Moisture gets into brake fluid eventually causing corrosion to expensive brake components and possible brake failure during a hard stop. Drain & refill is less than $100.00 at most shops - cheap insurance and preventitive maintainance .

Wait till 60K miles to flush the brake fluid.

Why so many miles in such a short time, do you use your car for business purposes ?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

While I get the desire to flush through the ABS solenoids, etc., IMO if a pedal method or motive pressure method gets fluid to all four calipers, I'd say do that and save the $$$.

I agree with this. Same thing on my BMW where you are supposed to have the whatnot to open up the ABS solenoids, but seriously you get most of it flushed out without doing that. If it were me I'd go for it myself.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I agree with this. Same thing on my BMW where you are supposed to have the whatnot to open up the ABS solenoids, but seriously you get most of it flushed out without doing that. If it were me I'd go for it myself.

IIRC, most of the moisture is down at the caliper itself due to density issues... IMO the fluid doesnt really "age" to justify its change, it is really the moisture causing corrosion, which at the caliper is BAD.

The system is brake by wire so if you tried to crack a bleeder without the scan tool the system will log faults and the brakes will no longer work properly.

I'd just wait.. for 3 years .. then take it somewhere you can see them work.. I've seen alot of work that includes the "technician" eating lunch and saying its done etc.

They charged my 85yr old grandma for an air filter.. twice in 2 years.. and It was still the offbrand one I put in 4 years before...

Last edited:
You should probably ask your garage if they have any thoughts, and what methods they use to test the brake fluid. I think brake fluid is much more on time than miles, but I'll admit that 90K miles on brake fluid would make me a little queasy--even if that queasiness is unreasonable.

I'd go for testing the fluid at 1.5-2 years (copper test strips, which you can get online, or a refractometer), then making a determination.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Ideally all cars should have their brake fluid drained and refilled every 2 ~ 3 years . Moisture gets into brake fluid eventually causing corrosion to expensive brake components and possible brake failure during a hard stop. Drain & refill is less than $100.00 at most shops - cheap insurance and preventitive maintainance .

The moisture also lowers the boiling point of the fluid. I use DOT 4 fluid with a 2 year interval on my street-only cars and a 6 month interval on my track rats.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The system is brake by wire so if you tried to crack a bleeder without the scan tool the system will log faults and the brakes will no longer work properly.

Wow, excuse me a minute while I wrap my head around that thought. I didn't realize I was so far behind the times.

Wow, a fault code triggered by opening a brake bleeder screw. Just wow.

Originally Posted By: 229
Suction it out of the resovior and replace yearly. Ten minutes plus the cost of fluid.

Right. You could do this instead of a 'real' flush/bleed.
It will mix 'cause there's lots of movement.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Wow, excuse me a minute while I wrap my head around that thought. I didn't realize I was so far behind the times.

Wow, a fault code triggered by opening a brake bleeder screw. Just wow.

It is brake-by-wire, so when you push on the pedal you may not be "directly connected" to the hydraulic system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back