Best filter for cold weather use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, pretty much any filter with a metal end caps and a silicone adbv should be sufficient. Pure One, Wix, Fram Xtended Guard, Royal Purple, M1, K&N, Amsoil, etc.

As said, any filter with a silicone adbv would be preferable to nitrile. As listed above lots of choices, OCI would determine how much to spend.

^^^^ Yep, be a good option. Still have the $5 rebate available till 12/31, through Amazon. And, the rebate at Amazon is the exact same offer# and info as the one that was supposed to end last month.

I'm thinking one could print the rebate through Amazon, by 4 at AAP using a code, and still grab them for ~$3.75 each. Nowhere on the rebate do I see that the purchase must be through Amazon. But, even 3 (free shipping) at $10.49 and $15 back for $5.49 each, still not too shabby.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/16/87/72/21/1687722150._V166011239_.pdf

Probably thick can and silicone ADB, although I have never had a filter fail due to excessive pressure on very cold starts, including various Frams.
I'd say M1, D+ or K&N.
Unless you get a decent oil change special with a K&N or an M1, I'd go with the D+ with an AAP online coupon and the rebate.
I got four for $3.50 each after AAP coupon code and MIR.

I run the standard PurOne or Bosch and never had a problem yet. In a pinch Id use Wix made filters (carquest Blue, Napa Gold)

Yeah, I chimed in about the BD+ mostly because of them being an excellent value with rebate on a solid filter, with a silicone adbv. The fact that it has a thicker can really wasn't a consideration for the OP's question, but just a bonus.

Like others, I've never had an issue with can thickness.

Lots of good choices with silicone adbv, just depends on what one wants to spend and OCI.

i use the ones that flow the best actually they say e core is great in the winter but i wont use them i use the ones we get at the shop they are group 7 made by purolater

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
... they say e core is great in the winter ...

I'm not too sure the nitrile combo ADBV/bypass valve in ecore filters would work too well in sub-freezing weather.

i use the ones that flow the best actually they say e core is great in the winter but i wont use them i use the ones we get at the shop they are group 7 made by purolater

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that the media in an ecore would be most likely to rupture during winter with cold starts.

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that the media in an ecore would be most likely to rupture during winter with cold starts.

I would say you are wrong. I used many Ecore during Minnesota and they turned out fine.

In cold wet winter weather you are more likely to get moisture issues in the oil and that is when reinforced media like in the Fram Xtended Guard could be useful. I have seen some pretty warped, though never broken, media in standard Motorcraft and PureOne filters in winter use. But the most important thing to keep the oil from draining is the silicone ADBV found on many quality filters. I have taken off some PureOnes and Motorcrafts that I then put opening side down in a coffee can and left for months only to find them full of oil when I cut them open.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back