F1 in Austin TX???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Autoweek has been running stories for months that have cast doubt on the Austin F1 race. This is more of the same, where they are trying to read the tea leaves where very few facts are known. All I can say is I hope it comes together. I want to drive that track!

Some people in the comments section of that article who live in the area said the construction equipment is there to start building the track.
21.gif
Why Austin though??? F1 races are as much a destination/vacation for participants and fans as is the race. That's why a NJ street curcuit in the shadows of NYC is a much more profitable/sustainable idea for a US F1 race.

Originally Posted By: fascination127
I take it you've never been to Austin?

Actually I have! It's a nice city, but I don't know about having a Formula One Grand Prix there. Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking. A Nascar Sprint Cup race I could see.

Who says Austin isn't a good tourist destination? Don't forget the old advertising campaign: "Texas. It's like a whole other country."
smile.gif

Since I lived in Northern New Jersey for 5 years, I have trouble thinking of Weehawken as a tourist destination. Siting the track on the Palisades does make it interesting. But they shouldn't try to bill the race as "the American Monaco". Demographically, northern Jersey and Monaco are as far apart as they are geographically; about half a world away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Demographically, northern Jersey and Monaco are as far apart as they are geographically; about half a world away.

Maybe that's why they have an F1 race in snooty Quebec.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Demographically, northern Jersey and Monaco are as far apart as they are geographically; about half a world away.

Maybe that's why they have an F1 race in snooty Quebec.
wink.gif

That's EXACTLY what I was getting at with my post in the "F1 coming to NJ" thread!

That area (Weehawken/Palisades) would need A LOT of "fixing up" in order to be anywhere near even 1/1000th of what Monaco is as far as 'uppityness', or attracting the wealthy, blueblooded elite of F1 fans.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
That's EXACTLY what I was getting at with my post in the "F1 coming to NJ" thread!

That area (Weehawken/Palisades) would need A LOT of "fixing up" in order to be anywhere near even 1/1000th of what Monaco is as far as 'uppityness', or attracting the wealthy, blueblooded elite of F1 fans.
wink.gif

He he. I know I'd have a good time in Austin or NJ. As for Monaco compared to other F1 venues, at least some of the other venues, included Quebec, actually offer affordable packages. Last time I checked, a top end Montreal package was under $4,000 (including tickets, excluding accommodations and travel), if I recall correctly, with much cheaper packages available. Some of the Monaco packages were north of $30,000, also excluding transportation and hotels.

If they want F1 to be more popular in North America, affordability will be an issue. I'm not saying they should water it down to a local weekend smash up derby ambiance and pricetag, but it doesn't need to be a $30,000 weekend, either. One could liken it to going to the symphony. One doesn't need to go by limo or spend thousands on tickets. However, it's also not a jeans and tshirt affair.

Makin' too much sense Garak. I went to the 2008 French GP and it was great. But it cost 150 Euros for standing room general admission.

The stands were half empty since the seats were $400-700 each, mainly corporate paying, but the standing areas had about 100k. There were a lot of people at the race, but mainly trying to avoid getting soaked by Bernie's tactics on pricing.

blame it on Bernie. If the admission was Indycar prices, you'd have 300,000 easily at every race in Europe. it is that popular.

A dream trip for me would be the Monaco GP and the top tier package. However, that's more than a lot of people make in a year, and I'm not about to spend more on a weekend than I spent on my last car.

While there are other things going on during the weekend, 150 euros for standing room is a little much, and $400 to $700 for the stands is too high, too, if you ask me. That kind of money for a couple hours of racing is a lot.

Like I said, it doesn't have to be a dressed-down affair. It doesn't have to cost your firstborn, though, either.

Originally Posted By: jmo
Don't know if you guys heard, that project has collapsed. Drove by the track site today and all the construction equipment is gone.

I just did some reading. It's apparently been "delayed" for a year. That's unfortunate.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: jmo
Don't know if you guys heard, that project has collapsed. Drove by the track site today and all the construction equipment is gone.

I just did some reading. It's apparently been "delayed" for a year. That's unfortunate.

That stinks. I was really looking forward to seeing the Texas race on next year's schedule. But hey, at least I get to see Indy Cars & American LeMans at Belle Isle next year again
smile.gif

Yeah, that's a shame. Apparently the people who are building the track can't agree with the people who are promoting the race. And now Texas has pulled the $25M loan guarantee (or whatever it was). They say the race has been delayed until 2013, but at this point, I'd be surprised if they get it together.

I would imagine the ball is still in the race builders' court. If they can come up with the race fee, which I imagine is more than the original $25M now, they'll come.

I've thought about going to the Montreal GP next year & then NJ in 2013. However, it would be a 20-hr drive with what will be a 16 month old. NJ would be a 15-hr drive. I do enjoy driving though.

In regards to Indy ticket prices, the race near Birmingham, AL is reasonable. Since I live relatively close, I pay $50 to volunteer for (2) 6-hr shifts (usually both on a Friday) which gets me (2) 3-day passes including (2) paddock passes for the weekend, & preferred parking all 3 days. It's a nice road course to boot.

Who says Austin isn't a good tourist destination? Don't forget the old advertising campaign: "Texas. It's like a whole other country."
smile.gif

Since I lived in Northern New Jersey for 5 years, I have trouble thinking of Weehawken as a tourist destination. Siting the track on the Palisades does make it interesting. But they shouldn't try to bill the race as "the American Monaco". Demographically, northern Jersey and Monaco are as far apart as they are geographically; about half a world away.

It's the close proximity to NY city that's got to be very appealing to Bernie and the F1 jet set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back