Garage Floor Cleaners - What's a good one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the rear ABS valve on my truck and made a bit of a mess on my garage floor. I'm trying to figure out how to go about cleaning it. I've done some searching and see that Simple Green appears to be up to the task.

What I'd like is something I can spray down on the floor and wipe up after letting it soak for a few.

What are your suggestions?

I've heard cat litter is good for soaking up oil spills.

For small spills/spots I usually just spray it with WD40, wait a minute and then wipe off with a paper towel.

Another one is the Orange Greased Lightning. I've used it with very good results.

Gasoline lines broke loose on my mother's stored 71 VW Beetle, leaked all over the floor, wow the garage smelled horrible for about a week straight.....then it started coming into the house even.

Anyways, we got the gasoline/rust combination cleaned up with Purple Power.

I'm thinking Muriatic Acid or "Hydrochloric Acid" as it was historically called...would do it too! LOL.....my father would also clean his pool deck with that [censored]....definitely gotta be careful, cause yea, it gases profusely......lay it down for about 5 seconds, then start hosing the floor down with water.

Other than that......prime it, and repaint it :p lol. But then again, may run into problems with the paint "sticking"...

Last edited:
I use kitty litter to soak it up. To remove the stain I found that oven cleaner works well. I have also used gasoline, and that purple stuff. power purple or something like that and it worked great.

FWIW, I spray brake cleaner directly on the stain for oil based stains and give it a wipe for the small stuff. The best affordable garage floor cleaner for doing the whole thing in my experience is powdered Tide laundry detergent. Spray the floor with a garden hose so its all wet, then spread powder around, then scrub with push broom, let sit for 5 min, then hose down, squeegy to finish. Gets the whole floor very clean and smells good for a few days.

Originally Posted By: law3500
FWIW, I spray brake cleaner directly on the stain for oil based stains and give it a wipe for the small stuff. The best affordable garage floor cleaner for doing the whole thing in my experience is powdered Tide laundry detergent. Spray the floor with a garden hose so its all wet, then spread powder around, then scrub with push broom, let sit for 5 min, then hose down, squeegy to finish. Gets the whole floor very clean and smells good for a few days.

Tide is awesome! Engine degreaser also does a nice job.

Do not use muriatic acid on a bare concrete floor. Acids do not clean up any type of stain other than rust. It will not clean oil or chemicals. And it will leave the surface rough like sandpaper

The best product out there for removing oil stains is a thick liquid you pour on the stain, then you wait a day and it dries into a powder. Then you sweep it away. Pour N Restore is the name; I think there's a clone that's sold in stores too

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
Do not use muriatic acid on a bare concrete floor. Acids do not clean up any type of stain other than rust. It will not clean oil or chemicals. And it will leave the surface rough like sandpaper

The best product out there for removing oil stains is a thick liquid you pour on the stain, then you wait a day and it dries into a powder. Then you sweep it away. Pour N Restore is the name; I think there's a clone that's sold in stores too

http://www.pour-n-restore.com/oilstain.htm

Wow, a lot of good suggestions. What I've decided to do is to get a small collection of a few things such as kitty litter, powder detergent and a few liquid sprays. I'll use each one as it relates to the severity of the spill/drippage.

Hands Down oil eater. Then when Dry Follow up with Pour N' Restore. Its a liquid that dries and pulls oil grease grime to the surface. When Dry you sweep it away. Pour N' Restore removed 10 year old oil stains in my parents garage. My dad was shocked.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm

Hands Down oil eater. Then when Dry Follow up with Pour N' Restore. Its a liquid that dries and pulls oil grease grime to the surface. When Dry you sweep it away. Pour N' Restore removed 10 year old oil stains in my parents garage. My dad was shocked.

Where you get this stuff from? And $$?

I'm assuming it's brake fluid that was spilled?

I've found that just a strong stream of water out of your garden hose is enough to get brake fluid out of concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back