2002 ram with 4.7l

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put a deposit on a one owner 2002 dodge ram with really low miles, 62k to be exact but im a little worried. I have heard horror stories about this motor and oil related issues and was wondering if any experts have any advice for me. I think the first thing i will do is add a quality synthetic such as castrol or pennzoil. I have not taken delivery yet so im unsure of what weight to run but im assuming 5w-30. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Thanks guys, i just get nervous with a 10k dollar investment. I plan on doing an oil change to synthetic as soon as i take it from the dealer, i know they said they changed the oil but i will feel safer knowing what i put in the motor. I have never been a fan of mobil 1 but it seems alot of people like it in this engine. I was going to put castrol edge or pennzoil platinum 5-30 as my first choices thou.

10k for a 10 year old truck? I see all the time low milage05-07 Hemi's for 10-12k in CC . I hope it's NICE

EDIT...Just noticed you in RI. Im sure the pickens are alittle slimmer then they are here. Lots of Buyer and seller competition here in AZ

Last edited:
I had a 02 Dodge Ram with the 4.7L that I bought new in 2002. I thought the engine was bulletproof. It was the transmission problems that made me sell it.

Originally Posted By: RW1
I had a 02 Dodge Ram with the 4.7L that I bought new in 2002. I thought the engine was bulletproof. It was the transmission problems that made me sell it.

I heard they were pretty tough aswell. Dodge trannys have always been the weak link, especially in the early millenium

Originally Posted By: bowhuuntr
I just put a deposit on a one owner 2002 dodge ram with really low miles, 62k to be exact but im a little worried. I have heard horror stories about this motor and oil related issues and was wondering if any experts have any advice for me. I think the first thing i will do is add a quality synthetic such as castrol or pennzoil. I have not taken delivery yet so im unsure of what weight to run but im assuming 5w-30. Thanks for any info you can provide.

These 4.7L Dodge Engines have had some Sludge Problems due too a poor PCV System and from OCI's that were too long.

I would look through the Oil Fill Hole or take this vehicle to a mechanic for a 2nd Opinion.

You can also Google Dodge 4.7 Liter Engine Sludge Problems.

I know it seems alot for a 10yr old truck but being 1 owner with a carfax that shows regular maintenace plus all service slips i thought it was a killer deal. I have been to dealerships for about a week, wasted vacation if you ask me, and everything around here is junk, im talking like 2004 ford f-150s with 140,000 miles for 11,000. The winter time up here drives the prices up like crazy, im sure if i waited till spring i could save another 1-2k but my car is about to die so i need something to last me. Glad to see with my regular maintenace that problems should be kept to a minimum. Thanks again

The 4.7 is bulletproof. I put 178k on the one in my Jeep. No sludge. Mine really liked QSUD. The new 4.7's are spec'd for 5w20 so if you wanted to use 5w20 or 0w20 that isn't a problem.

the trannys are fine, just keep good fluid in it. change the pcv valve and make sure the update was performed with the baffle in the oil filler neck (yes it does help the sludging problem although many claim it just hides it. my father inlaw has an 02 ram and he owns and operates a oversized truck piloting company, he had 380k mi before he needed a new trans, he also put an engine in at the same time since it was already being separated from the trans, but now he has almost 500k mi on it and the truck is still solid, you just need to keep up on maintenance.

I know it seems alot for a 10yr old truck but being 1 owner with a carfax that shows regular maintenace plus all service slips i thought it was a killer deal. I have been to dealerships for about a week, wasted vacation if you ask me, and everything around here is junk, im talking like 2004 ford f-150s with 140,000 miles for 11,000. The winter time up here drives the prices up like crazy, im sure if i waited till spring i could save another 1-2k but my car is about to die so i need something to last me. Glad to see with my regular maintenace that problems should be kept to a minimum. Thanks again

Do you have an idea what the OCI's were on this vehicle.

Every 4- 4500k since new, always at the dealer. I will change the pcv valve and all fluids asap to ease my own mind.

Every 4-4500 miles is FANTASTIC. I have read about problems when some people were doing 6000 mile OCI's. This then led too problems with the PCV System.

Sounds like you found a Vehicle that has been well maintained.

Thanks again guys, now just settling on what brand to use. It seems they are all really good at what they do (synthetics), so it shouldnt be to hard, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back