The Primacy MXV4s are awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the MXV4s installed last Friday. I didn't have to wait long to see if they handled the rain better than the OEM Energys that Michelin warrantied for us.

The last couple days,basically all of Western Washington has been under a flood warning. Its been absolutely pouring for the last 72 hours.

My wife came home last night and commented on how much better the MXV4s are in the rain than the Energys. None of the hydroplaning,spinning tires from a stop,or sliding into an intersection she had experienced with the Energys.

I put a set on our Saturn when the OE Bridgestone Duelers needed to be replaced at 36K. We've had them on for about 15K so far and I think they're great. They're on the top of my short list come time to put new rubber on my Nissan.

I agree. They were better than the Pilots that Michelin says is their best tire. The only tire I think are better than the MXV4's are the Conti's DWS tires.

Anyone have a first-hand experience comparison of the Primacy MXV4 to the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring? Those are two at the top of TireRack's Grand Touring category.

When Goodyear is offering their $80 MIR plus an additional $80 when you use their charge card, it's a hard deal to beat.

I love these tires. Have a pair on the Hyundai. One of the best non-performance tires I have driven on.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Anyone have a first-hand experience comparison of the Primacy MXV4 to the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring? Those are two at the top of TireRack's Grand Touring category.

When Goodyear is offering their $80 MIR plus an additional $80 when you use their charge card, it's a hard deal to beat.

Certainly is a hard price to beat($160 off the price?). I have the regular G/Y "ACT's"...Assurance Comfort Tread(1st gen/non touring)on my wifes Lexus and the foul weather performance is very good for heavy rain and snow/ice traction. Ride and quiet is also good.

The "Touring" version, which weren't on the market at the time of my purchace, would have been a nice addition for normal cornering ability and straight line tracking on the highway as this Lexus is a typicle "so-so" handling Lexus...A little mushy in the corners and a bit of a wanderer on the highway. As is my experience with most older Toyota's that I have owned/driven, they all feel the same. Loose/numb steering feel and they follow the shoulder of the road more than other cars IMHO. Maybe this has changed?

The Michelin Primacy MXV-4's seem to get much better reviews than the Energy MXV-4's especially in the WET!

Last January, first set of Michelins I ever purchased was the Primacy MXV4's. It was sort of by default, after an unsuccessful 30 day ride/trial with Conti DWS, and bad flat spotting in the cold weather.

The Primacy was/is a huge improvement in ride in the 215/50-17 size for the Accord. Very smooth and quiet ride in this somewhat low profile size. Can't say I'll always buy Michelins from now on, but the Primacy work well on my Accord.

Just put a set of Primacy MXV4s on my Corolla. Excellent tire. Replaced LRR Goodyears that were terrible in the rain. I took a quick glance at the sidewall and it said "made in Romania"!!??? I thought they had plants in the US (Carolina's). Maybe my size isn't produced there. Pirelli's on the S10 made in France. Isn't anything made in US anymore?

Originally Posted By: Joe72Mart
Just put a set of Primacy MXV4s on my Corolla. Excellent tire. Replaced LRR Goodyears that were terrible in the rain. I took a quick glance at the sidewall and it said "made in Romania"!!??? I thought they had plants in the US (Carolina's). Maybe my size isn't produced there. Pirelli's on the S10 made in France. Isn't anything made in US anymore?

Quite a lot of Michelin and Goodyear tires are made in USA and Canada.. Would you rather your tires be made in France/Romania or China/India?

OT Part of my decision in my most recent DT purchase (yesterday) was the tires being made in the USA. It came down to the General RT's and Yokohama Avid Touring S. According to Tire Rack (I like TR lists that), the Yoko's are made in the US. General RT's in Brazil.

Disclaimer, I'm not running up the flag or anything here, I own some Asian vehicles. But, most things being equal or close, I'll try and buy US made when I can, this was one of those times. That plus, I previously had a good experience with Yoko Avid Touring tires.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Quite a lot of Michelin and Goodyear tires are made in USA and Canada.. Would you rather your tires be made in France/Romania or China/India?

Hi Nick:

You're correct. France/Romania preferable to China/India. Just puzzled: Italian Pirelli's made in France. French Michelins made in Romania. I live one hour away from Akron, the former rubber capital of the world. You could smell Akron before you got there on interstate. Now Akron may be just a research center. Globalization.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Hi Nick:

You're correct. France/Romania preferable to China/India. Just puzzled: Italian Pirelli's made in France. French Michelins made in Romania. I live one hour away from Akron, the former rubber capital of the world. You could smell Akron before you got there on interstate. Now Akron may be just a research center. Globalization.

What part of Ohio you in? I'm in Northern Lorain County at the moment. Anyway, the pirelli's I'm considering getting for the nox are made in the UK. The Pirelli P4 I could get for my cruze (but I won't due to better options) are made in china. It's a hodgepodge.

The tires work better after about 1000 miles. So, if you think they are good now, they will get even better. Also check your tire pressures because "tire professionals" are notorious for sloppy/inadequate tire pressures. Adjust the tire pressures to the placard and make sure there's no more than 0.5 psi variation between the tires of each axle.

After 1500 miles I am down about 2-3% for MPG compared to the OE tires. Initially it was over 5%. I expect you to experience the same?

Last edited:
I've got the primacy mxv4's on my jaguar X-type and also my previous car a 06 Jett's tdi. both with 205-55-16 size

On both cars, I found them somewhat squishy in "turn in" and at the cornering limit. Especially when full of tread. As they wear, they actually feel better.

They get exactly the same MPG on the Jetta TDI, so the short lived Energys were not worth the premium price and fast wear problems.

Had 'em both. The Michelins are more quiet but ride slightly more harshly over potholes. The ct tourings handle nicely but have more road noise. Quietest and most comfortable is the regular GY assurance CT,but it does not handle sharply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back