Lexus ES 350 Oil Change ( oil Type and frequency )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I purchase 2nd hand Lexus ES350 from a friend , probably he could not afford to maintain it. I decided to maintain the can on my own with some visits to Lexus dealer for major work.

I have a friend who inspired me to put my hand in to service side, he recommends Castrol EDGE 10W60 like anything , he says this the ONLY oil I should use every 5000 KM. Technically I don’t have much knowledge about oils but he says that’s the only oil.

Please could anyone tell me what is so magical about this oil that friend of mine only recommends this particular oil.

is this oli suitable for Lexus ES 350, doen around 80K ( KM)

I have no budget issue as such but don’t want to pay the agency just for putting tick marks on the checklist and do nothing extra, I would rather learn few things while maintaining my car.

Cheers

S

Last edited:
60 weight oil in a Lexus?

I know you guys over in the UAE see some hot temps, but I thought we did also in Texas. Around here we run 30 weights in just about everything. If it calls for it in the Owners manual there is no problem running 20 weights.

Check out the owners manual. I would think you could go with a synthetic 30 weight or 40 weight no problem and get better gas mileage and probably better lubrication due to the increase in flow on start up. Even at room temp a 60 weight oil will be thicker than a 40 weight and therefor a little bit slower to pump.

Since it is already on a diet of synthetic I would stick with it. Unless it has some leaks or burns a lot.

I'm not even sure where I would go for a 60 weight oil around here. I have always found it interesting how overseas you can find all kinds of interesting oils that are significantly thicker than what we can find here in the states.

Thanks rshaw125 for your prompt reply,

So you don’t recommend Castrol EDGE 10W60 , which Oil would you recommend for Lexus ES 350 then?

Thanks Once again…

Originally Posted By: m4s500
Thanks rshaw125 for your prompt reply,

So you don’t recommend Castrol EDGE 10W60 , which Oil would you recommend for Lexus ES 350 then?

Thanks Once again…

If it was my car I would look for the Valvoline white bottle, or the semi-synthetic Motorcraft in 5w-30.
If you prefer thick synthetics, try the Castrol Syntec 0w-30.
I would not go higher than a x-30 weight even with UAE temperatures.

5000km is a very short OCI. Double that would probably be normal in the USA, but I assume you drive in very dusty conditions and that is a factor.

60 weight is very heavy for the Toyota 3.5. I would think a 40 (0-40, 5-40 or 10-40, even 15-40) weight would be appropriate in your temperatures.

Originally Posted By: m4s500
Hello All,

I purchase 2nd hand Lexus ES350 from a friend , probably he could not afford to maintain it. I decided to maintain the can on my own with some visits to Lexus dealer for major work.

I have a friend who inspired me to put my hand in to service side, he recommends Castrol EDGE 10W60 like anything , he says this the ONLY oil I should use every 5000 KM. Technically I don’t have much knowledge about oils but he says that’s the only oil.

Please could anyone tell me what is so magical about this oil that friend of mine only recommends this particular oil.

is this oli suitable for Lexus ES 350, doen around 80K ( KM)

I have no budget issue as such but don’t want to pay the agency just for putting tick marks on the checklist and do nothing extra, I would rather learn few things while maintaining my car.

Cheers

S

WHAT THE!!!? No man, thats waaaay to heavy for this motor. Just stick to 10W30.

Couldn't afford to maintain it? Really?

Aside from routine oil changes and tire rotations there really isn't any scheduled maintainance required for these vehicles until well past 100k miles. They carry timing chains, 100k plugs and coolant. Of course if he was putting 6.5 quarts of Castrol 10w-60 in at about $16/qt US then i can understand why maintenance was costing him so much since just the oil for an oil change would be $104.

When i owned my Camry V6 with the same 2GR-FE engine, i ran 10k intervals with factory cartridge filter and the cheapest brand name synthetic 5W-30 i could get, usually PP or M1.

I'd definitely check the owner's manual.....I know some people over-think the whole ambient temperatues, and such....and the affects on Oil....but this engine should do fine with a 5W-30 or 10W-30......

Your friend, although well intentioned, is misinformed. The manual calls for 5W-30 every 8K.
From the 2009 manual:
"If SAE 5W-30 oil is not available,
SAE 10W-30 oil may be used.
However, it should be replaced
with SAE 5W-30 at the next oil
change."

@Veilside, Yes - I changed tires and spark plugs etc first time when I purchased it, what he was doing a regular 10K oild change at any petrol startion and thats about it...

Originally Posted By: TJPark01
Your friend, although well intentioned, is misinformed. The manual calls for 5W-30 every 8K.
From the 2009 manual:
"If SAE 5W-30 oil is not available,
SAE 10W-30 oil may be used.
However, it should be replaced
with SAE 5W-30 at the next oil
change."

That manual must be for the US.
Castrol Edge 10W60 is a nice option but you can use 5W40 or 5W50 also.
Valvoline is not sold in each and every country on earth.It is not global like Mobil,Shell,BP.

Lexus offers their own branded 5W-40 synthetic. That's what I'd use every 10,000 km as instructed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back