2009 honda rancher 420

Status
Not open for further replies.
was reading in the owners manual that 10W30, 10W40, 5W30, and 0W30 can be used. non energy conserving oil, 2.9 quarts. which would be the best viscosity to run? would it be best to run the honda oil? was thinking of going with 10W40 Amsoil, but can i use the regular amsoil or should i get the 10W40 motorcycle oil? 4 wheeler is used mostly in hot weather and mild mississippi winters.

Is JASO-MA a requirement? Does it have a wet-clutch? That will dictate your decision.

If you want a safe alternative either way, get some Rotella T6 5w40.

My father-in-law has a Rancher 420, nice quad for sure. I do believe you have a wet clutch, hence the no energy conserving oil recommendation. As far at the Amsoil, take a look at their Premium Protection Oil (AMO) in 10w40. That's the oil I run in all my quads with very good results. Your Rancher is liquid cooled so you could probably go the better part of a year between changes, the AMO is a very durable oil with lots of zinc.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
i was looking at the amsoil powersports 0W40, its says it for wet clutches, and yes it has a wet clutch

It is a super oil and will work well in your Rancher. The AMO I mentioned is just a little bit cheaper, I look to save a few dollars, but I have 6 quads, 4 of which are raced so I change a lot of oil. If you have only the Rancher then the Powersports 0w40 would be hard to beat.

Not sure if you are intending to do extended OCIs (hence the Amsoil choice), but I would recommend Rotella T6 (5w-40) or T (15w-40) and change it normally. I run T6 in my Kawasaki Brute Force 750i and have had great luck with it. This past summer it was 100+ where we ride and the T6 held up perfectly.

Rotella T6 is synthetic. It can endure longer durations. I prefer Rotella T 15W40 and change it at 1000 miles if riding in relatively clean conditions. If riding in dusty conditions or possibly in situations where water might enter the engine. More frequent changes are necessary. If the engine takes in water, dump the oil immediately. I mean like right there.

Rotella products are excellent oils at very reasonable prices. Can't beat that combination. I've been using it for many year with excellent results in air cooled and liquid cooled ATVs and motorcycles.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
ill probably go with the rotella T6, but ill try the amsoil 0W40 next oil change

Do a forum searh for the motorcycle section and filter the results by posts from "sunruh" and you will be greeted with a wealth of information. He has tested just about every oil in his dirtbike. It might surprise you when you read everything and see what failed quickly and what stood up to his torture.
wink.gif

I would use Amsoil 10W-40 (either one).

Sunruh is a fairly biased guy, but lots of folks like him (heck I do to) - even he has praised Amsoil 10W-40's UOA's - check it out. The 0W-40 will work well too, but is a bit more prone to shear than Amsoil 10W-40 - this shouldn't be a problem if your manual says 0W-30 will be OK. If I lived in La. I'd stick with a beefy 10W-40.

I used the Amsoil 0W-40 in my atvs a few years back but switched them all over to something I could buy locally...which is Shell Rotella synthetic.

I use it in my 07 Rubicon, my wife's 04 Yamaha 350 Bruin, my son's 09 Honda Recon and in my 06 V Star motorcycle.

Using Amsoil would cost me a small fortune....but it is good oil.

Quite a few, take a look at your local quad shop for a selection. At the parts store you are likely to run into Valvoline motorcycle oil and Lucas motorcycle oil, maybe some Castrol ACT oil and others. JASO-MA oils almost always have a picture of a motorcycle or quad on the front of the bottle.

are EMGO oil filters good? stopped and picked one up today for the rancher along with some 5W40 Rotella T6. is there better oil for it or should i be good with the Rotella? how long should i go before changing it again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back